Hi, I'm Lorraine. Where can I find a disability employment advisor? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Lorraine. Where can I find a disability employment advisor?

colliedog1
colliedog1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2021 in Work and employment
Im looking for a disability employment advisor when i start looking for work
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @colliedog1 scope have a very good job support scheme  @Tori_Scope may be able to help you more 

I am on the scopes job support I am finding it realy helpful 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

There are usually disability advisors available through the job centre or they will direct you to the right place to start 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Hello @colliedog1

Scope have a number of employment support services that could help.  One of these is called Support to Work in which you will be paired with an employment advisor who will offer free online/telephone support around interviews, CV's,  application form-filling and much more.  This service is open to people who:

• are 16 years or over
    • are looking for a paid job
    • have internet, email and telephone or Skype access
    • live in England or Wales.
    And for more details around how to apply, you can visit the Support to Work webpage.  

Does this sound like a service that would be helpful?  Make sure to visit the links provided and let us know!

Just to add, I've moved this post to our Employment and careers section incase you're wondering what's different :) 

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome 

There are usually disability advisors available through the job centre or they will direct you to the right place to start 
    I've had disability employment advisors from the local job centre back when I was on the Jobseeker's, and to be blunt he was worse than useless, I told him I wanted retail based shop work, he wanted to put me in the Warehouse! How about no? I don't want to be hidden away in the Warehouse because a company are ashamed to admit they hired a guy like me, I want to be out there serving customers, that's what I have training and qualifications in.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's important to remember that not everyone's experience of employment advisers from the Job Centre will be the same @MrAllen1976, but thank you for sharing your experience.

Definitely have a look into Scope's employment services @colliedog1 :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome 

I've had disability employment advisors from the local job centre back when I was on the Jobseeker's, and to be blunt he was worse than useless, I told him I wanted retail based shop work, he wanted to put me in the Warehouse! How about no? I don't want to be hidden away in the Warehouse because a company are ashamed to admit they hired a guy like me, I want to be out there serving customers, that's what I have training and qualifications in.

How many years ago was that? Do we now add DEA's to your list of useless people?
    What retail job experience did you have?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    @woodbine - Please keep conversation on the topic of the OP.  @MrAllen1976 is allowed to talk about his lived experience, and express an opinion on the subject matter, as much as anyone else.  As has been advised previously, we do not allow content that harasses another member and I'd ask you to reflect on i) how your questions added value to the OP and ii) if they were intended in the friendly ethos that underpins our community.  

@colliedog1Did you find any of our members' suggestions useful?  What next steps will you take do you think?  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    My advice would be to try and speak with the work coaches at the job centre, and also see whether they know of any local organisations that offer disability employment support, I know in my area there are a few organisations that will work only with disabled job seekers and you would be allocated a personal one to one advisor who would support and guide you, they also tend to be very good in my area in terms of knowledge, having access to other organisations and been able to do referrals. So maybe there is something similar in your area too? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    On Facebook there are a few people giving free job support you could have a look on there aswel that's how I found the scope job support ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.