I'm on old style esa, will I be moved to UC in the next year? Will this happen if I move house? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I'm on old style esa, will I be moved to UC in the next year? Will this happen if I move house?

vicky123 Member Posts: 23 Listener
Hello I have been on old style esa support group for over 10 +years  they did change me over from contributions based to both contributions and income based although it didn’t alter my payments. Is it true that they will sometime in the next year or so move us over to Universal Credit? As that will lower my payments I also get PIP and Housing Benefit. Can anyone shed any light on this. 
Secondly if I move house and claim housing benefit on the new property for change of address will this force them to change me over to Universal Credit? 
Am worried as struggling with the money I receive and the thought it would go down is worrying me. Anyone out there that can shed any light much appreciated 


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,251 Disability Gamechanger
    Managed migration to UC is officially supposed to done by 2024, as every target date for benefit changes has been missed there is no reason to suspect this one will be done by then, so it's possible you will be moved to UC this year ,next year or who knows when.
    I would worry about it when it happens.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,979 Disability Gamechanger
    The pilot project that started last year was suspended due to COVID and has not yet restarted. The OBR still expect managed migration to take until September 2026 (by which time it will be 9 years late). 

    A6 Universal credit (UC) managed migration: the Government has again paused the pilot phase of the UC managed migration scheme, this time until April 2022. The surge of new UC claims during the early stages of the pandemic led to a pause in managed migrations as operational capacity became stretched. It also increased the number of ‘natural migrations’ from legacy benefits, reducing anticipated managed migration volumes by 50,000. There remain around 3 million cases on the legacy benefits that will transfer to UC, with 1.6 million of those expected to go through managed migration. The full rollout is still assumed to finish in September 2026.

    A26 Universal credit (UC) rollout: the pandemic means the Government has delayed the managed migration phase of the UC pilot scheme until April 2022. While this is now almost three years later than first planned, it does not further extend the September 2026 end date, which remains nine years behind schedule.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • vicky123
    vicky123 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    So if I now move house and declare change of circumstances for housing benefit will I still remain on the old style esa or will I move on to universal credit for my housing claim?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 7
    Depends if you are changing local authority.

    If you move within the same local authority area you can report it as a change of circumstances on your existing HB claim.

    if you move to a different local authority your existing HB claim will end. You cannot make a new HB claim in the new local authority so if you want help with rent you would need to claim UC. The act of applying for UC would end your income based ESA claim. Any contribution based ESA would continue (and be subtracted from the UC).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • vicky123
    vicky123 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you for that information I will continue to stay in the same Borough
    great advice 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.