Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Hi, my name is matt and I'm suffering with dysphagia
I was diagnosed with dysphagia 4 years ago now, I am 35 and it just came out of nowhere just woke up one morning and could not eat. My life changed forever that day. At present I am living back at home with parents because I cannot cope, I am having numbness and pain in my throat which the doctors said is thrush? Took medication but it did not help, actually made it worse so now I have not eaten in 3 days. Doctors said its psychological and have left me to suffer alone but last night the pain and irritation was so bad I could barely breath. I was managing my dysphagia well until this pain and irritation started 6 months ago. I also have held down a job but recently had to take time off because of this. Sometimes its so bad I can barely drink without aspiration. I never let anything get me down but this has made me cry many times. If anyone has advice to get rid of the painful or irritated throat please share it with me because I can't live like this its driving me to the brink of something drastic. Other than that I saw ENT 4 years ago barium swallow 4 and 2 years ago all fine apparently well an abnormal swallow but not been able to see anyone about the throat pain dry prickly sensation only a prescription over the phone again didn't help. I would not wish this on anyone, I just want some relief because i cant even sleep with the dry painful or numb throat my head is going to explode I just want to relax, no one deserves this and I'm so frustrated that there seems to be no medical help whatsoever.
- 48.4K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 621 Work and employment
- 517 Education
- 939 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 907 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 237 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.1K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 575 Chronic pain and pain management
- 636 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 690 Autism and neurodiversity
- 822 Mental health and wellbeing
- 283 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.