Hi, my name is Sarahosullivan! I've got small fiber neuropathy, and am struggling. Anyone else? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sarahosullivan! I've got small fiber neuropathy, and am struggling. Anyone else?

Options
Sarahosullivan
Sarahosullivan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
H I've got small fiber neuropathy and I'm struggling has anyone got it thanks 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Sarahosullivan :) How are you doing today? 

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with your small fiber neuropathy at the moment. Is this something you receive any support from doctors for? 

I don't have the condition myself, so I can't offer personal experience, but I've renamed your post and moved it into a different category so that other members with similar experiences might be able to find it more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sarahosullivan - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. As Tori says, I also hope your Drs are supporting you with this. If it's something like pain you're struggling with, your GP may be able to find an alternative med for this, so it's always worth discussing this with them further. Is the cause of your SFN known, as, if it's possible to identify an underlying cause, this may be helpful too. :)
  • Sarahosullivan
    Options
    Chiarieds thankyou I'm not very good with computers or this sit.. I'm going to pain management in Oct and I'm on better  tablets.. I don't have any other under line problems. I'm struggling with diagnose and just is this it now forever.. Sometime the simplist things  I can't do so I'm just crying all the time. I'm om antidepressants. But I don't won't to live like this.. Sorry thank you 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Sarahosullivan - I'm sorry you have such a wait before you can get to pain management, but it seems like your GP is being supportive in giving you better tablets.
    I too have a neurological condition & live with chronic pain. As we're all different, we have to find different things that help us cope, & it seems it's often a combination of modalities that works better. Exercise comes first for me; probably my physio background, yet this is often the first mentioned thing, including on the NHS website. Please see: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/10-ways-to-ease-pain/    As far as the 2nd point, 'Breathing right' goes, here's a link as to how this should be done: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    This breathing exercise is another of my mainstays; it helps reduce pain & stress.
    There are some other resources here: https://ppa.csp.org.uk/content/links-people-living-pain
    As you will see, looking through these links, it's as much about looking after your mental health as any physical problem, e.g. I use distraction (reading, listening to music & gardening mainly, but it's whatever interests you) & mindfulness.
    I'm not saying it's easy, but taking small steps in trying is the way forward. Exercise can be just doing some simple exercises that you may enjoy; a little & often is the way to start. Also try thinking about the things you can do, & perhaps try to find ways around doing those things you're finding difficult.
    So many of us on the forum live with pain, so you will find ever so much support here too, so please chat here any time. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Sarahosullivan :) I hope that the information chiarieds has posted above is useful. As they've said, everyone is different and it's often a case of working out what works best for you. It's good to hear that you'll be speaking to the pain management team in October too. 

Have the antidepressants been helping at all? Has your doctor discussed any other options with you, such as talking therapy? This could help you to work through how you've been feeling about your diagnosis, and how this has been affecting you. 

There's no need to apologise, and you're certainly not alone in feeling the way you do. Please remember that you can always contact the Samaritans if you ever need to talk to someone without being judged or told what to do. You don't have to be suicidal to get in touch with them, either. You can call them on 116 123, or email jo@samaritans.org. You can also text SHOUT to 85258 if you'd prefer to chat to someone over text message.

• Sarahosullivan
    Options
    Thank you so much I've only been on antidepressants just over a week some1 is ring me on 15th from talk wirral.. And I've joint mind.. But thank you so much.. How will I know on here if someone has the same als me 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    There was a recent post about this @Sarahosullivan - & also if anyone sees yours that also has SFN they may join in with your post. Please see: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/82519/hi-my-name-is-viv50-small-fibre-neuropathy?_ga=2.261232520.421942884.1628719921-462006494.1594920585      
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    It can take a while to get settled on new medication @Sarahosullivan, especially antidepressants, as I'm sure you know, so hang on in there and keep in touch with your doctor :) It's good to hear that you've followed up with some other avenues of support, too. Let us know how the phone call goes!

I'd encourage you to keep an eye out for posts from people who have the same condition as you. These will most likely be in the chronic pain and disabled people categories, and you can keep an eye out for new members in the welcomes and introductions category too. 

• Sarahosullivan
    Options
    Tori scope.. Thankyou so much x 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.