Is there any legislation that'd override owner agreement in interest of making building accessible? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there any legislation that'd override owner agreement in interest of making building accessible?

Options
spiritualists
spiritualists Community member Posts: 2 Listener

We are a spiritualist church in Glasgow.  We comprise 2 townhouses, which are B listed buildings.  For that reason we are unable to adapt the front of the buildings to accommodate disabled access.

To the rear of the buildings, a large extension was built in 1970.  A fire-door takes you on to a private lane.  This would be an ideal location for disabled access.  Unfortunately, the lane is cobbled, with many uneven potholes – so therefore needs to be re-surfaced.  However, any attempts to obtain owner agreement has proved negative.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise if there is any legislation that would over-ride owner agreement in the interest of complying with an organisation/charity’s duty to do everything it can to accommodate people of all abilities – whilst, at the same time, improving the area.

Tagged:

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 538 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community,

I don't know much about building law or things so apologies, but is there a way to do temporary access at the front of the building without altering the building itself? i.e like a wooden structure or ramp over steps.

Hopefully others will be able to help more.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• spiritualists
    spiritualists Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    The steps at the front have a 30 inch rise.  According to my calculations, this would mean having a temporary ramp with a length of around 7m.  I've just sent an email to The Ramp People regarding feasibility and cost.  So let's see where we go from there.  Many thanks for your help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.