I've been told I can work sitting down, but I find this too painful. My assessments were cancelled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been told I can work sitting down, but I find this too painful. My assessments were cancelled

Options
nickibe
nickibe Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I seem to have a problem with universal credit about whether i can work, which i can't apart from being disabled i have rheamatoloid Arthritis which causes pain i have osteoporosis and old fractures in my back i have had the assessments that were cancelled each time and am now waiting for a new one. I was told by one person that i can work sitting down. I find sitting for too long painful.
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Under UC you are treated as fit for work until the assessment has been carried out a decision made. Your work coach can however turn off, or reduce, your commitments.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are experiencing a lot of pain from your RA you need to speak to your rheumy team, maybe your medication needs looking at., and I would ring your GP regarding the osteoarthritis, you may feel better once the pain is controlled.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nickibe and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to here you've been having difficulty with universal credit. If you have a work coach, have you spoken to them about your concerns around sitting for too long? 

You might find Scope's Support to Work programme would be useful. They can help with getting into work, as well as supporting you when you're in work. They can also help you apply for Access to Work, which can provide equipment to enable you to work to the best of your ability.

What kind of work are you looking to get into? And would a standing desk be a potential solution to sitting too long? Perhaps scheduling in regular breaks to stand? This could be incorporated into a future role as a reasonable adjustment.  

Can I ask, what support are you currently receiving for your pain management? If you feel you can't currently manage your pain levels, I'd encourage you to chat to your GP as vikingqueen has advised.

Let us know if we can help any further :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.