Spotlight on Dylan Alcott: A Champion on & off the Tennis court — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spotlight on Dylan Alcott: A Champion on & off the Tennis court

Options
Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
"I hated my disability, then I found Tennis, and it changed and saved my life!"

Those are a few of the words of Dylan Alcott's speech last year after winning the legendary 'Golden Slam' at US Open 2021.

Today marks the start of the very last tournament of his phenomenal career, following his announcement he will retire after the Australian Open 2022, aged 30. It's more than fair to say, wheelchair tennis won't be the same without such a big personality on the court. 

[Dylan Alcott pictured kissing the Australian Open Quad Singles Trophy]

For those that don't know, Dylan Alcott is a multiple Quad Wheelchair singles and doubles champion, Paralympic champion, and an incredibly passionate advocate for disability rights and equality. He's even done two TED talks on the subject.

Dylan was was born with lipomeningocele, which caused a large tumour on his spinal cord, leading to the first of many surgeries at five weeks old. He went from hating his disability in his youth, to fully embracing it, and using his platform to push for change.

Off the court the Australian Dylan works to promote equality, particularly for young disabled people. He has a charitable foundation, and is co founder of Get Skilled Access and Able Food, as well as running the music festival Ability Fest. 

He'll certainly keep himself busy after hanging up his racquet! As a last note, I wanted to share this piece written in the New York Times a few years ago, that gives the reader a real flavour of Dylan as a professional sportsperson, advocate and proud Aussie. Enjoy!
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.