Psoriatic arthritis. My GP has offered me methotrexate, but I'm unsure about it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Psoriatic arthritis. My GP has offered me methotrexate, but I'm unsure about it

Options
neilnjh
neilnjh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi am new here so hello all I have just been diagnosed with pssoriatic arthritis an have psoriasis on quiet a lot of my body I have a lot of pain in my feet excruciating hip and shoulder pain finger nail pitting an swollen fingers most of the time it's awful my rematologist said he wants to try me on methotrexate but after reading up on this drug am in two minds on taking it my work is suffering a lot as my time of is a lot at the moment due to a hell of a lot of pain an my mental state is going through the roof anyone going through the same I would appreciate any advice thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• est1980
    est1980 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear you are having such a rubbish time. I was put on Methotrexate a year ago, first as 15mg by tablet, then 15mg my injector pen(bit like an epi pen) then increased to 17.5 then to 20mg. Sadly, it's not actually working for my RA, and am waiting to see rheumstologist to perhaps try a different medication.
    However, 

Thus far, the only side effect was a slightly dodgy tummy, but that resolved when I switched to the injection. Other than that, I've had no problems at all. Obviously my experience may not be yours, and I agree, it does seem scary when you read the side effects. However, I would urge you to consider these points,which is how I went about making my decision.
    1. What is your prognosis if you don't start treatment? 
    2. You are monitored very closely so even the slightest adverse affect will be picked up very quickly.
    3. Methotrexate is usually the go to med, if it doesn't work, or you were to have a bad reaction to it, they will move on and try other things, but they genetally only do that if the methotrexate doesn't work for you 
    Lastly, your doctor wouldn't have prescribed it to you if they didn't believe the benefits far outweighed the risks.
    Ultimately, it's your decision, but I just thought I'd share my experience and thought process when I was first offered it in case you found it helpful. Good luck! X
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd say try it, it may or may not work but your rheumatology team will be able to prescribe an alternative if it doesn't work. I've been taking it for 4 years now and I can honestly say it changed my life. I had to change from tablets to the injections but apart from that I've been fine. The only downside for me is  you need to have regular blood tests while you are taking it and I hate needles 😬.  It will take up to 12 weeks to work so don't give in too early. Good luck 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.