My husband's disabled child wants to start living with us. Will this trigger a move to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My husband's disabled child wants to start living with us. Will this trigger a move to UC?

Options
Itsmylife
Itsmylife Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, i am still on legacy benefits and do not want to be transfer to UC. My husband disabled child 10yrs wants to start living with us which will make us 3 in the house. My question is will this trigger a UC or will our benefits still remains the same. My husband is my carer.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,323 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    What benefits exactly do you and your husband claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Itsmylife
    Options
    All the claims are on me, I get PIP, ESA and HB my husband only claim CA as we live together the ESA and HB was included in his name but its my claim.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sorry i'm confused. First you say this..
    Itsmylife said:
    My husband disabled child 10yrs wants to start living with us which will make us 3 in the house.
    Then this..
    Itsmylife said:
    All the claims are on me, I get PIP, ESA and HB my husband only claim CA as we live together the ESA and HB was included in his name but its my claim.
    If you're already living together and you're claiming those benefits then i don't understand your question because your benefits will remain as they are.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Itsmylife
    Options
    Sorry i'm confused. First you say this..
    Itsmylife said:
    My husband disabled child 10yrs wants to start living with us which will make us 3 in the house.
    Then this..
    Itsmylife said:
    If you're already living together and you're claiming those benefits then i don't understand your question because your benefits will remain as they are.

My question is will this trigger a UC or will our benefits still remains the same. My husband is my carer.

If the child join the house hold would it trigger UC claim
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2022
    Options
    OK so you're living with your husband and your husbands child is going to be living with you, is that correct?
    If so then to claim for benefits for the child you won't be able to start a new claim for tax credits and it will need to be UC that you claim.
    If you claim UC then your HB and ESA will end after 2 weeks. If any part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will continue and be deducted from any UC entitlement.
    If you're not planning on claiming benefits for this child then you won't need to claim UC.
  • Itsmylife
    Options
    OK so you're living with your husband and your husbands child is going to be living with you, is that correct?
    If so then to claim for benefits for the child you won't be able to start a new claim for tax credits and it will need to be UC that you claim.
    If you claim UC then your HB and ESA will end after 2 weeks. If any part of your ESA is Contributions based then this will continue and be deducted from any UC entitlement.
    If you're not planning on claiming benefits for this child then you won't need to claim UC.
    Yes the child wants to start living with us. I was told if we claim UC i will lost all my addon elements. We are not interested to claim child benefits but will inform HB benefits that the child will be living with us.

One more question, my husband child older sister who is 16 also looking to move in but i am really worried about my legacy benefit as i do not want to claim UC. Whats your thought. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2022
    Options
    If you're in the Support Group the only disability premium you will be claiming is Enhanced disability premium, which is £24.60 per week.
    If you claim UC you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. UC LCWRA pays more than ESA Support Group. You will also be entitled to the standard couple element, child element/s and housing element. You will without any doubt be better off claiming UC because of the child elements.
    How will you manage looking after 1 or 2 children on just your ESA? With the cost of living so high right now that will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
    If the mother of the children is claiming benefits for them then she will need to report changes that the children no longer live with her.
    I'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to see how much UC you will be entitled to. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=aabb9de8-4ed3-43ca-ac0b-09b4c7a0358e

• Itsmylife
    Options
    Thank you very much for the help it is greatly appreciated.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Itsmylife. Help is the very least you deserve. Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. We are here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.