Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is Jockey! My PIP's stopped and my ESA's been reduced. What can I do?

Options
Jockey
Jockey Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I was getting standard pip and esa £344 fortnightly then when covid started my pip was passed thru then got a form threw the post and was late filling it in in the end my friend filled it in because I was ill I said don't send it till I've seen it but she sent it anyway before I knew it my pip was stopped and I don't even know what was put on the form when I eventually contacted the social they said I couldn't appeal and to top it all not long after my esa benefit was virtually cut in half to £180 a fortnight and that's what I am trying to live on is there anyone who knows what I can do I really can't live like this anymore and I'm not Joking feel like ending it I have never been in so much debt in my life before I'm really sorry for asking 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Did you not have an assessment for pip after sending in the form 

You can still appeal with mandatory reconsideration if it is less than 13 months since the decision if there is valid reason for it being late 

I suggest you get some expert advice from welfare rights or an advice centre local to you 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @Jockey thanks for reaching out this morning, I'm really sorry to hear what's been happening.

Turn2Us has lots of information on how to challenge a PIP decision, so please do have a read of that, you can also contact Advice Local to search for a professional adviser local to you. 

Can I ask if you claim any other benefits, such as Housing Benefit? I just like to check because I says on the gov.uk website that:

You’ll be placed into one of 2 groups if you’re entitled to ESA. If you’re able to get back into work in the future, you’ll be put into the work-related activity group. Otherwise, you’ll be put into the support group.

You’ll get:

• up to £77.00 a week if you’re in the work-related activity group
    • up to £117.60 a week if you’re in the support group
    For either of these, that makes less than £180 a fortnight, so I'd just like to make sure I understand fully :) 

We'd like to offer you some additional support so please keep an eye out for an email from community@scope.org.uk a little later today. 

Let us know if feel we can help further with anything, and we'll do what we can.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.