Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

The school have said they'd like to bring social care in. Why might they do this?

Options
Rin1472
Rin1472 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
edited July 2022 in Education
Hello,

My son is 5 and is diagnosed autistic. He has a full EHCP, but is currently in mainstream. However his levels of aggression are increasing massively. He has hurt other children and staff. The school have said they’d like to bring social care in.

Why might they do this?
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Rin1472 thanks for your question today and explaining what's been happening, that does sound stressful for you both.

When the school mentioned social care, did they talk about CAMHS at all? I don't know if you've ever had any support from CAMHS, but it might be worth looking into. 

It may be that social care can undertake an assessment to see if he can be better supported, but if you're concerned, make sure you raise this with the school and ask that they explain things clearly for you.

I would encourage you to contact IPSEA's advice line for support if you need it too, they can provide legally based information and next step advice on any educational issue that is the result of a child’s special educational needs or disability.

I hope this helps, and well done for reaching out, let us know if we've missed anything.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Rin1472
    Options
    Thank you for replying :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Rin1472. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Rin1472 I'm just speculating but I wonder if because he's being violent they think maybe you could also do with more support which is why they're bringing in social care? 
  • Rin1472
    Options
    I’ve managed to get clarification and it was because we thought we could do with extra support at home. Frustrating, because we didn’t ask for that. We’re coping fine with his anxiety driven violent behaviour. Treat the anxiety and you treat the behaviour. Connection works way better than anything someone coming into the house will suggest. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am really pleased to hear you have managed to get clarification @Rin1472. Though, it sounds really frustrating that this wasn't at least discussed with you to see if you wanted this first. 

It sounds really positive to hear you are coping fine. What sorts of things help you to cope? It sounds like you are aware and understanding of his underlying needs and the support required which is a huge help.

If we can do anything to support you further, please don't hesitate to reach out  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Perhaps you could ask them whether they'd be able to refer him for some support for his anxiety @Rin1472

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.