Hi, my name is SamyB! I'm 67, retired, and have COPD. Am I entitled to anything from the state? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SamyB! I'm 67, retired, and have COPD. Am I entitled to anything from the state?

Options
SamyB
SamyB Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, my name is SamyB and I live in Wiltshire. I visited Chester Zoo,  last Sunday and had to, for the first time use a mobility scooter to get around. The reason for this is because I have been diagnosed with severe C. O. P. D.  Can someone please explain what if anything I’m entitled to from the state as this is all new to me. I am 67 years old and worked all my life until I retired in February 2019,

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @SamyB :) Thank you for joining the community!

How did you find using your mobility scooter for the first time at Chester Zoo? 

If you're not sure what you may be able to claim, you could try using an online benefits calculator (Turn2Us)

Money Helper and Age UK also have some information about claiming benefits and retirement, which you may find helpful. 

Would you be able to tell us a bit more about your situation, such as what you may already claim?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For someone over pension age making a new claim the relevant disability benefit is Attendance Allowance however AA does not include an element for mobility so your need to use a scooter would not assist you. For AA you need to require frequent help to look after your personal care.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    SamyB said:
    Hi, my name is SamyB and I live in Wiltshire. I visited Chester Zoo,  last Sunday and had to, for the first time use a mobility scooter to get around. The reason for this is because I have been diagnosed with severe C. O. P. D.  Can someone please explain what if anything I’m entitled to from the state as this is all new to me. I am 67 years old and worked all my life until I retired in February 2019,
    As has been said, it is Attendance Allowance that you are looking at.
    There is no provision for not being mobile only that due to the health condition you would require care for your personal needs - whether you get the care or not is immaterial.

• SamyB
    SamyB Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks all for the very helpful comments, at the moment I am claiming no benefits and living on our pensions. Attendance allowance seems to be the way to go as it could fund my mobility scooter. Getting around is my greatest worry as I am now confined to the house.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Does the mobility scooter help you feel less confined to the house @SamyB? I can imagine that'd feel difficult.

As you struggle to get out, are you able to get everything you need in, such as food and medicine? 

You can read about Attendance Allowance on the Turn2Us website :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.