If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded PIP but also getting Carer's Allowance

Options
Sofia123
Sofia123 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Hello everyone,

I was recently awarded PIP first time without having an assessment. My claim dates back to 25 May 2022. On 21 September, I got a DWP phone text message saying that they had awarded me PIP and to wait for a letter in the post for an explanation.

Today I checked my bank account and found a lump sum of £1,969 in there from DWP PIP which surprised me as the letter had not arrived. I called them and an automated voice told me that my next PIP payment of £467 will be due on 18th October.

I am guessing that I have been awarded Enhanced daily living, and Standard mobility components of PIP which is fine by me. What I want to know is whether I am eligible to make a claim for 'Enhanced disability premium' to top up my income-related ESA, taking into account that I also get Carer's allowance as i'm living and caring for my disabled mother who is suffering from chronic schizophrenia, among a host of other illnesses. My dad was previously caring for her for over 10 years, and claiming Carer's allowance right until he passed away in late April this year due to suffering from a sudden cardiac arrest at age 60. I then made a separate claim soon afterwards on behalf of caring for my mum.

Regarding my mum, the quality of her life is severely hampered by the visual and auditory hallucinations that she suffers from all the time which can be very stressful at times. She has been getting long term, income-related ESA and both Enhanced daily living/mobility components of PIP for several years now, and I believe her PIP award is for 10 years.

My own income-related ESA was reduced from £270 every fortnight to £209 every fortnight when I made a claim for Carer's allowance back in May, while at the same time her ESA reduced from £312 to £270 every fortnight, which was disappointing. If someone can please help advise me on what would be most beneficial in our situation going forward, it would be greatly appreciated. Could I still claim a disability premium top up without it affecting other household benefits? Kind regards x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Your ESA will already include the Enhanced disability premium because it’s automatically paid when claiming Income Related ESA. 
    When you claimed Carers Allowance for your mum this would have been deducted in full from your ESA and then the carers premium would have been included. Carers allowance would then pay your separately. Your total entitlement would increase by £38.85/week.
    When you claimed CA for your mum if her ESA included the severe disability Premium then this would have stopped. Her ESA would have reduced by £69.40/week (April amounts) However £312/ fortnight doesn’t include the SDP. The deduction may have been because your dad passed away, if her ESA included Money for your dad.
    If you just live with your mum then you would be entitled to the SDP in your ESA, providing no one claims carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you. You need to ring ESA to claim it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sofia123
    Options
    Your ESA will already include the Enhanced disability premium because it’s automatically paid when claiming Income Related ESA. 
    When you claimed Carers Allowance for your mum this would have been deducted in full from your ESA and then the carers premium would have been included. Carers allowance would then pay your separately. Your total entitlement would increase by £38.85/week.
    When you claimed CA for your mum if her ESA included the severe disability Premium then this would have stopped. Her ESA would have reduced by £69.40/week (April amounts)
    If you currently live with no other adults unless they are either claiming a qualifying means such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you will be entitled to the SDP. You will need to ring ESA to claim it. 
    Thanks for the detailed reply, poppy. My brother who is working security on zero hours contract, currently lives with myself and my mother, however he is not claiming benefits so that would disqualify me on SDP then? 

I recieved my PIP paper award today which shows 13 points on Daily living and 10 points on Mobility components, so my initial estimates based on PIP payments were right. 
    The assessor awarded me PIP for 4 years until 2026 by which time they will review me again.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Sofia123 said: My brother who is working security on zero hours contract, currently lives with myself and my mother, however he is not claiming benefits so that would disqualify me on SDP then? 
    Yes it would.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sofia123
    Options
    Thanks for your help.
  • Sofia123
    Options
    Hello all,

I have another question which needs clarifying. I checked with my mum's bank today and was informed that the DWP had given her £150 towards the cost of living. Do I qualify for the same  payment now that DWP awarded me PIP, or is it too late for me? 

Kind regards x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sofia123 said:
     Do I qualify for the same  payment now that DWP awarded me PIP, or is it too late for me? 

Based on this..
    Sofia123 said:
    Hello everyone,

I was recently awarded PIP first time without having an assessment. My claim dates back to 25 May 2022.

Yes you will.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.