If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone else's hypermobility worse when sitting at a desk? Can being hypermobile affect pregnancy?

Options
Kristina_K
Kristina_K Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Thank you for setting up this community, I have hyper mobility and am so relieved to hear others have it too! 

Does anyone else find that they get it worse sitting at a desk? Does anyone have any tips for how to sit in a way that doesn’t aggregate the pain? 

Also, my husband and I are trying for a baby. Does anyone know how being hyper mobile can affect pregnancy?

Thank you again 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kristina_K - & welcome to this friendly community. I also have hypermobility issues (the hypermobile type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, or hEDS), so it's especially nice to 'meet' you.
    I think with sitting at a desk you have to find what works for you. There are ergonomic chairs on the market, but I'd suggest of equal importance can be getting up & moving around whenever possible.
    As far as pregnancy goes (& I had 3 children before I knew I had hEDS), then I'd advise you mention to any Health Care professionals about your hypermobility. Pregnancy can, & may very well be without any problems; I found that no longer menstruating meant I had much less pain, but because with pregnancy you later get a normal increase of laxity, then perhaps that can be a problem for some. It was only with my 3rd child that I experienced significant back pain, but I can't necessarily put that down to hEDS!
    If your hypermobility is due to a heritable disorder such as hEDS, this can mean with every pregnancy there's a 50% chance of you passing this on to your child, so something to bear in mind/discuss with a geneticist. All 3 of my children, & all 3 of my grandchildren have hEDS, & we're all affected differently as there can be variable expression even in the same family.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.