Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I in an "at risk" group?

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,643 Pioneering
edited March 2022 in Coffee lounge
I have been diagnosed with Parkinsonism and suffer from a variety of other issues
Am I entitled to a 4th covid jab? 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,219 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best person to speak to would be your GP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Is it up to the GP whether I get another jab then? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,133 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ''In February 2022, recognising the small decline in observed vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation for COVID-19 after the booster dose, JCVI recommended a spring booster campaign for individuals at higher risk of severe COVID-19. Many of the oldest adults received their booster vaccine dose in September or October 2021, and protection against severe disease is expected to continue to wane gradually by the autumn. As a precautionary strategy, an extra spring dose is being advised, to sustain protection whilst JCVI continues to review the epidemiological situation, ahead of an expected booster programme in autumn 2022.
    The committee recommended that a booster dose should be given around 6 months after the last vaccine dose to:
    ●adults aged 75 years and over
    ●residents in a care home for older adults, and
    ●individuals aged 12 years and over who are immunosuppressed''

• Wibbles
    Options
    I was in the clinically vulnerable group last year
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Yes, as you say, & as mentioned in the green book linked to above (on p16) those with Parkinson's disease are in the clinically vulnerable group. However Cressida received a 4th Covid vaccine due to falling into the category as a person who needs long term immunosuppressive treatment.
    I hope this helps, but, as mentioned above, you can always contact your GP to discuss this.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    It's not parkinsons disease its Parkinsonism
    There Is a small difference 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Unless you are immunosuppressed then you won't receive the 4th one. As advised here
    chiarieds said:

●adults aged 75 years and over
    ●residents in a care home for older adults, and
    individuals aged 12 years and over who are immunosuppressed''

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,504 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would you feel able to contact your GP about this if you're still feeling a bit unsure @Wibbles? They should be able to talk it through with you, and answer any questions you might have. 

It's understandable that you might have some concerns, seeing as you were in the clinically vulnerable group last year. I hope that you're managing to stay as safe and well as you can :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Would you feel able to contact your GP about this if you're still feeling a bit unsure @Wibbles? They should be able to talk it through with you, and answer any questions you might have. 

It's understandable that you might have some concerns, seeing as you were in the clinically vulnerable group last year. I hope that you're managing to stay as safe and well as you can :)
    Yes I may email my GP
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,504 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that might be a good idea, just to give you peace of mind @wibbles :) Let us know how you get on!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Wibbles said:

Yes I may email my GP
    I did advise you yesterday to speak to your GP. 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    You have previously said you had Parkinson's, i.e. Parkinson's Disease, & even linked to a PIP guide mentioning Parkinson's Disease as you thought you should get a 10 year award due to this:
    Are you now saying you have Parkinsonism, not Parkinson's Disease, as you have used both terms interchangeably?
  • Wibbles
    Options
    As far as I am aware
    Parkinsonism is just Parkinsons on all but name
    It is all of the symptoms but a different cause
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As I understand it, Parkinsons is one form of Parkinsonism
    https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/types-parkinsonism
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    calcotti said:
    As I understand it, Parkinsons is one form of Parkinsonism
    https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/types-parkinsonism
    Well I have been diagnosed with Parkinsonism 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Everyone with parkinsonism is different and has different symptoms
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Everyone with parkinsonism is different and has different symptoms
    I'm not sure what you are trying to communicate, here you said
    Wibbles said:
    Parkinsonism is just Parkinsons on all but name
    It is all of the symptoms but a different cause

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Parkinsonism describes a cluster of signs & symptoms that in 80+% of cases occur in Parkinson's Disease. These include pill rolling movements when the hands are resting, cog wheel rigidity usually of the upper limbs, difficulty initiating movement such as walking, then difficulty stopping that motion, so an altered gait.
    Then there's Parkinsonism due to secondary causes, & atypical Parkinsonian disorders. With these latter cases, then 'Parkinsonism' is just a name for certain signs & symptoms reminiscent of those found in Parkinson's Disease, as mentioned above, but, in itself, is not a diagnosis.
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Parkinsonism describes a cluster of signs & symptoms that in 80+% of cases occur in Parkinson's Disease. These include pill rolling movements when the hands are resting, cog wheel rigidity usually of the upper limbs, difficulty initiating movement such as walking, then difficulty stopping that motion, so an altered gait.
    Then there's Parkinsonism due to secondary causes, & atypical Parkinsonian disorders. With these latter cases, then 'Parkinsonism' is just a name for certain signs & symptoms reminiscent of those found in Parkinson's Disease, as mentioned above, but, in itself, is not a diagnosis.
    That is correct. 
    I have all that and more...... Altered Speech..... Memory...... .mobility.... Gait...... etc
    Diagnosed at Queens Square, London in1992
    The result of a head injury in1990
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I was put on Levodopa for a couple of years with negligible affect - so I've not had any anti-parkinson drugs for 25 years!!