ESA Award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Award

Options
tezza
tezza Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everyone, I have been placed in the support group and awarded an extra amount of money because of this, When I checked my monthly UC allowance the ESA award has been deducted so in summary I have not recieved the extra payment,I have worked for the last 12 yrs and wondered if this is correct as I cannot see how they can award extra money but then you never recieve it as they deduct it staight away.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming UC as well as ESA there’s no financial gain because the ESA is always deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    Your UC should include the LCWRA. When did you claim UC and when did you get placed into the Support Group? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tezza
    Options
    Hi Poppy,thanks for the reply,I was placed in the support group about 3 mths ago, I claimed UC about 2yrs ago as I had to give up work because of my illness. Its the same with my rent though, they say they are paying my rent but that too is deducted from my basic allowance so I do not actually recieve it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When did you report your health condition for UC?
    tezza said:

they say they are paying my rent but that too is deducted from my basic allowance so I do not actually recieve it.
    I don't know what you mean by this. UC is one benefit with many different elements. As you're claim ESA as well this will reduce the whole of your UC £1 for £1.
    Can you have a look at your statements and tell me exactly what elements you're receiving please.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tezza
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi Poppy thanks for your reply, I was recieving the basic element of U  C for myself and my wife, when I was placed in the support group I was awarded £497 per month I did not  claim ESA they automatically put me on it. Before the ESA award I was entitled to £1500 per month but they deducted the following,
    ESA £497   IIDB £150  Rent £450  and £76 for an overpayment of ESA which I did not agree with so I am left with £567 per month because they started including a payment of £230 ESA, I explained that my rent was £450 but as I recieve PIP of £300 they told me to pay everything with that.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    DWP wouldn't have automatically put you on New style ESA. That's not how it works.
    IIDB is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement.
    Does your UC include the LCWRA element? Please have a look at your statement on your journal.
    Do UC pay your landlord directly? Which is why they deduct the £450 for your rent?
    Sorry but i don't know what you mean by this.
    tezza said:
    so I am left with £567 per month because they started including a payment of £230

Does your PIP include the daily living part? If so and your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they will be able to claim Carers element. They need to "report a change of circumstances" on their journal.

• Tonawanda17
    Tonawanda17 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, i wonder if someone can help me. Is my claim contribution based and is the support group money means tested? If so, what is the savings limit. 

My entitlement letter  says :Limited capability for work - £77. Then extra support group money £40.60. Then that gives you a total income-related amount of £117.60. Then it says : No income will be taken off your ESA.Your income related amount is £117.60. Then - However, because you are entitled to contribution based esa we will pay you £117.60. I can't really make sense of it. Can someone help?

Thanks

Bailey
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The reference to income based ESA is confusing and incorrect. You are receiving contribution based ESA which will be £117.60 from later in the month. You will receive fortnightly payments. As advised the ESA will be deducted in full from your UC. The deduction will be 509.60/month.

You haven’t answered the question poppy asked about whether or not your UC statement includes the LCWRA element.

You should see standard allowance, LCWRA element and housing element giving a maximum amount. Then will then be a deduction for the ESA a deduction for the IIDB, a deduction for the amount paid direct to your landlord and a deduction for any previous overpayment. The balance is the amount of UC you will be paid.

As advised by poppy, if you get Daily Living PIP, your partner could claim the carer element of UC for looking after you and this will increase your entitlement..
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tonawanda17
    Tonawanda17 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the very quick reply. I'm not getting UC (Just old style esa). Are you saying that savings don't affect my esa?. 
    Thanks again
    Bailey
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @calcotti There's 2 different people posting on the same thread here. This is what happens when people ask questions on threads.
    Hi, thanks for the very quick reply. I'm not getting UC (Just old style esa). Are you saying that savings don't affect my esa?. 
    Thanks again
    Bailey

As calcotti says, your ESA is contributions based and savings do not affect the amount you're entitled to. Is there a reason why you're not claiming the Income Related top up? Is it because of other income or savings/capital?
  • calcotti
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Thanks again
    Bailey
    I got confused because you posted your question on somebody else’s thread and I didn’t notice you were a different poster. It’s better to start your own thread instead of hijacking an existing one to avoid such confusion.

As you are getting contribution based ESA only then it is not affected by savings or other income (with the exception of any pension income in excess of £85/week).

Is it definitely old style ESA? If so, do you know why you are not entitled to any income based ESA?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    tezza said:..so I am left with £567 per month because they started including a payment of £230
    I think OP may have been referring to a fortnightly ESA Payment
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    tezza said:..so I am left with £567 per month because they started including a payment of £230
    I think OP may have been referring to a fortnightly ESA Payment

True. I didn't see it that way because the deduction from UC for ESA is more than £230.
  • tezza
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Poppy this is all getting confusing, I have been awarded housing benefit of  499, I do not recieve this amount in my account nor is it paid direct to my landlord, I have to make the rent payment with other benefits I have like PIP for example. They deduct the rent but nobody knows where it goes too
  • calcotti
    edited April 2022
    Options
    tezza said:
    Poppy this is all getting confusing, I have been awarded housing benefit ..
    Are you referring to the housing element of UC? (Housing Benefit is a completely different benefit and very few people on UC can claim it.)

If so, does your UC statement say that they are paying the housing element direct to your landlord and, if so, are you saying that your landlord says they are not receiving it?

Perhaps it would help if you are willing to post a copy of your UC statement (after carefully removing all personal details).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.