Cost of living

2»

Comments

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 2,123 Trailblazing

The average income is now over £30k or £2500 per month.

If you had £2500 per month what would you spend it on ?

This £250 per week would bring you close to this

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,079 Championing

No, I don't get your argument and neither would struggling working households get it!

Non-disabled households cannot upgrade to the sort of life you describe on poverty wages and zero-hours contracts. The difference is they're not asking for an extra £250 a week and Scope is saying disabled people need and deserve that amount.

• WhatThe
    edited October 17

You know the saying "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion"?

Apply that to spending and income.

• Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 4,895 Online Community Team
    edited October 17

Hey @WhatThe, I'm passing your feedback onto the team that puts out that information.

I think Scope, being a disability charity, while it is cognisant of poverty it is focused on the needs of disabled people. This extra costs is on top of whatever income and wealth they already have. Those working households you mention, that includes disabled people. Just the average extra cost for a disabled household compared to a non-disabled household across all levels of wealth (poverty to wealthy), on average, an extra £250 a week.

• WhatThe

Well, yes, working households include disabled people and struggling working households receive welfare benefits.

I'm disabled and have to manage without this fantasy extra £250 a week. The welfare bill is to be slashed yet your charity is demanding recognition of this 'requirement' that disabled claimants have every week to live a full life.

To my mind, this will fuel the resentment towards all welfare benefit recipients, disabled or not. In this regard, I don't think disabled people matter any more than the rest of the population does!

• WhatThe
    edited October 17

Jimm, Why isn't Scope screaming from the rooftops for the two-child benefit cap to be reversed?

Those struggling working families include disabled children and disabled parents as well as those with undiagnosed needs.

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 866 Empowering

Hi WhatThe, hope you’re ok today. I’ve not been following this thread in real time, but just wanted to come on and say that I get what you mean, and would also be interested to know where the figure came from.

I don’t know where to start re the fantasy lifestyle🤷‍♂️, but just wanted to let you know that I agree with your points.

Hope you get a good sleep tonight.

• WhatThe

Hey vikki, spooky 😉 cos I've not slept well and had a meltdown today - contractors have been in all week. I ate my breakfast at 9pm.

I channelled my distress and frustration on here and hope I didn't overdo it. Thank you so much for that message 💜

• vikki66

@WhatThe - I’ve just had a combined breakfast/lunch/dinner binge. Then I wonder why I can’t sleep🤣

How could it be overdoing it if you’re genuinely concerned about all the people who are not having their needs met/ voices heard?

Hopefully big 💤 💤 💤 tonight 💚

• WhatThe

Just the average extra cost for a disabled household compared to a non-disabled household across all levels of wealth (poverty to wealthy), on average, an extra £250 a week.

The mean average?

Jimm, what could a wealthy disabled person possibly need from Scope that they can't get for themselves?

What use are such statistics to millions of struggling households which may or may not include a disabled child or adult? Anyone can become disabled. Disabled children grow into disabled adults.

Where was the fuss when Child Benefit was changed to means-testing?

• WhatThe
    edited October 17

vikki, mine was an all-in-one too 😄

The push for the UC £20 uplift to be extended to legacy benefit recipients was an own goal steered by campaign groups and lawyers and now no-one gets it!

That extra £20 on UC took me to sickness benefit levels for 18 months and offset the bedroom tax but it was still less than my previous ESA award. When I was in part-time work, UC taxed me so high, I was left with £50 a week for all my household expenses and travel. I just can't believe Scope is willing to separate disability from poverty.

• vikki66

@WhatThe - off to watch Netflix on my phone. Won’t comment on my true thoughts on your comments, don’t want to upset the One Love narrative.

• vikki66

When I said 3-in-1 I meant I ate them all - I hate food waste.

Hope tomorrow is a better day

• WhatThe

🤗

• Wibbles

Well if you still can't understand,I give up trying to explain…

It's simple

• Wibbles
    edited 07:37

Why should we (disabled as well as non disabled) pay for those who choose to have 3 or more kids?

Sorry but you're on your own with this one