How does cohabiting/marriage affect benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How does cohabiting/marriage affect benefits?

sky982 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how my benefits would be affected if I cohabit with a partner or get married, or both.

I am currently on PIP - higher rates for both components and Universal Credit LWCRA. If I were to cohabit/marry a partner who is employed and not on benefits, as I understand it PIP would be unaffected but Universal Credit is dependant on how much your partner earns?

Thanks :)


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    If you live with a partner, regardless of whether you're married or not then you will need to report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them you're living with a partner. You will then be sent a linking code. Your partner will then need to make a claim for UC their self and use the linking code you were sent to join both claims together.
    Entitlement will then depend on your joint circumstances. As you have LCWRA then you'll be entitled to the work allowance, which means a certain amount of earnings received each month will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent the work allowance will be £344, if you don't then it's £573.
    If your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element of UC. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 then you'll be excluded from claiming. ( this includes any savings your partner may have)
    As you correctly said, PIP isn't affected. If you're claiming any Council Tax reduction then this will be affected. If you're currently claiming single person discount this will also end.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.