Love? Duck? Hun? Bab? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Love? Duck? Hun? Bab?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
Coming back from the Christmas period I logged into a meeting with my wonderful colleagues and exclaimed "Hello my loves, did you have a good Christmas?"

It made me wonder about regional ways of greeting, of nicknaming people as a way to be endearing and how for some, it isn't always welcome.

In the community, everyone is such a lovely bunch and being in a professional capacity it does take everything to not say things like "oh love", "yes chick!" or "that's amazing news hun"...etc.

I've seen more terms of endearments crop up in discussions and it made me wonder;
  • How many people in the community use nicknames like this?
  • What nicknames do people use the most?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,
    I`m a northerner, so "love" is a greetting / term of endearment I`m used to.  I, personally, don`t use it though.
    I do use "chuck" and greet certain people with that. 
    One term I use for a friend I work with is "chucklebutty" (I think it was one of Ken Dodd`s expressions), on lazy days I shorten it to "chuckles".
    I now live in the South West and one expression I`m used to being greeted with is "orroit moi bird".
    My parental home is an overspill for Liverpool; at school it used to be "come ed lar" (not so much of a greeting, but an expression to follow / do something).
    Bab, Babe & hun are 3 expressions that make me cringe.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You've taken me back to my youth (mind I'm still 27 :) ), when people used to say 'Hello ducks.'
    I initially failed to grasp 7 years ago, that when my neighbours said, 'You alright?,' to which I used to respond, that it was just the same as 'Hello.' This is in God's own county. One of my neighbours says, 'Hello young lady' to me......now that I like!
    I don't use any such terms myself, & would have been somewhat affronted to be called 'chick.'
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,883 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I say hi lovely, don't mean anything by it, i hope it doesn't cause offence as non is intended, an interesting thread
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi my S (separated) husband is from Gateshead and he still calls me "Pet". This I don't mind. But when we first met in 1980, he used to call me "piranha" and I absolutely hated it.
    With people I know, I do use the terms "love" and "darling" and no one has ever objected as I mean well! 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I have called my youngsters Pushkin before now, honeybunch was quite common when I was young, as was sweetie, petal and flower.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm the worlds worst for using a lot of these words, sorry if any one gets offended but there is no intention of that ment, it's just how words roll of my tongue, i write on hear the same way as i would talk so i use darling, bab, lovely's a lot. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't tend to use them, very rarely. I don't get offended by them being used. Recently a delivery driver dropped off a parcel and said " there you are, love, your Xmas gifts" I was like ok ta.   
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I'd forgotten about Ta Sandy, that's another word us Brummies use a lot x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a good friend who i usually call "hun" but wouldn't use it for those i don't know. One thing i really hate is someone calling me "love," I'm not anyone's love. Don't mind anything else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I have a good friend who i usually call "hun" but wouldn't use it for those i don't know. One thing i really hate is someone calling me "love," I'm not anyone's love. Don't mind anything else.
    Note to myself Poppy ha ha hope your okay with "lovely's" x
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for making this thread it's useful to me as I know you are all just being lovely caring people in this community. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some really good answers and insights here :) 

I tend to hold back from anyone that doesn't know me, using nicknames or terms of endearment like that. But it is hard! One thing I find interesting about these comments is how some have put origins on them.

I use terms like 'love' a lot and I was always told that was a northern thing. My grandfather was from Durham although I never met him, my grandmother picked up phrases he used and passed them on to her kids who passed them to us. 

It's amazing how we learn from our family too.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One I really don't like is doll and have had to train my other half not to say it 

Apart from that I don't mind and I use the occasional hun or lovlies 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,620 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    'Wotcha cocker' or 'Alright mush' ?
    Cockney - my uncle used to say the former
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,620 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    NOT "Babes" - my wife hates being called "Babes" - she likens it to being called a Pig !!
    But then she is GURT LUSH !
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Note to myself Poppy ha ha hope your okay with "lovely's" x

Haha, lovelies is fine :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I've been called babe and i did find it a bit weird prob because i'm in my sixty's ha ha - didn't feel right tho. 
    I've heard "Lush" used on the TV a bit x
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nickname I like 
    love 
    Honey 
    Sweetie 
    sweetheart
    chick
    honey
    Darling 

nicknames I don't like 
    pet
    cutiepie 
    babes
    kids 
    mates 

Nicknames I may call some of the community
    honey 
    love
    chick
    mates
    hun
    sweet
    sweetie 
    sweetheart

• BillYNWA
    BillYNWA Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I used to say Love but have educated myself to using Lass. The term Love was in no way derogatory but it seemed politic to change. However I still hold doors open for both male and females, will offer my seat to pregnant or the elderly. I consider these things good manners.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't use terms of endearment myself except with my late partner. However, people frequently call me love, lovely, darling etc and I don't mind at all. It is always said in a warm and friendly was so I take no offense.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.