Supermarket Deliveries in Nottingham (Carlton area) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarket Deliveries in Nottingham (Carlton area)

Options
Sheelee1955
Sheelee1955 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi Everyone, 

I'm having real problems with the supermarket that I've been subscribing too for on line grocery deliveries for about 3 years now.

As you can see, I live on the east side of Nottingham City, and am interested to here from anyone in that area who can give me some idea about reliability of supermarket deliveries. 

In the last 4 deliveries, there have been 2 cancellations and 2 very partial deliveries. They think be throwing enticements to keep your custom is enough, despite a very poor attitude and lack of care that they are leaving housebound people without basic foodstuffs and no intention of offering even a 72 hour window ensuring delivery after the failed delivery slot. 

I really would appreciate your help with this issue.  I'm assuming that other areas may gave a different experience of the same supermarket chain in different areas, which is why I am asking about the area I live in. Its causing me a lot of anxiety. 

Thank you,

Sheelee 1955

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sheelee1955 and thanks for joining the community today. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with supermarket deliveries and that it's causing anxiety. 

To help our members share their thoughts with you, I've moved your post over into our independent living category. As this is a public forum and we'd like everyone to stay safe online, it's good to be mindful of not sharing too much personal information, but I'm sure our members would be happy talk about their own experiences with you. 

I know there tends to be a lot of substitutions or items out of stock when I arrange my own deliveries, which might be increased due to high demand over the Christmas period. 

Are you struggling to get everything you need food wise at the moment? And can you tell me if anyone is living with you at the moment?

Something which you might find useful if you are struggling for essentials, is Scope's information on free food and foodbanks.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sheelee1955
    Options
    Dear Alex_Scope,
    This problem has been going on since September,  so it's not related to the Xmas crush. It's been more to do with their fridges and freezers breaking down. 
    But it's their uncompromising attitude that adds insult to injury. I just want a system that works for what I pay for. 
    I have contacted a different supermarket to ask their approach to some of the problems I have been experiencing.  Verbally they can promise the Earth. I'd like to see what they are prepared to commit to paper. 

I hadn't thought about the confidentiality issue, I assume related to.me saying the area where I live. I just didn't see the point of just raising the question generally,  because people in another area may have a brilliant service. I think it's something to.do.with the local.branch of this particular supermarket chain that is the problem. 

Sheelee1955
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not same area but we have been having deliveries every week from Tesco for over 18 months now and have had no problems with them, we get the occasional substitution but they usually seem to work in our favour, have also had some deliveries from other supermarkets so far without any real issues.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sheelee1955
    Options
    Thanks for answering Woodbine. It's as I thought, that it's to do with the particular branch of Tescos that does orders in the area where I live that is the problem.  
    Substitutions have also been a problem. I complained a while ago about the fact that that particular Tescos was only making premium priced goods with certain items available for on line shopping. EG Bottled water only had eg Buxton, to choose from.
     What has been frustrating with some staff at their call centre is they said part of the agreement is that substitutions are part of the deal, if the store does not have the particular brand I want in stock when making up my order.  I kept saying these omissions were not at point of delivery, but at the point of choice, so has nothing to do with availability at point of making up the order. They just weren't making some of the more reasonably priced brands (including own brands) available to choose when ordering. Some customer service staff just kept to the script (or just decided not to "understand") and ignored what I said. In the end I made a formal complaint with advice from Consumer Advice. For a while it was resolved (interesting) but its slipped back and got even worse. The reliability issue wasn't a problem at that time. It is now.
    I'm really glad you are having a good service from Tescos, Woodbine. It's just not like that where I live.

Happy New Year,

Sheelee

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sheelee1955

I'm so sorry you've had so many issues with your delivery services. I am in another city, but had a period of time when our local Tesco had issues with freezer vans, which I see has been an issue for you too.

We decided at the time, and something we've carried on since as it's been more budget-friendly, is do a two supermarket shop. 

So we as a house of 3 have a £80-£90 weekly shop budget with toiletries. We use Iceland for frozen, cleaning supplies, some toiletries and some snack bits. We budget around £40.00 and they have a free delivery for £40.00 and over offer. Then we get fresh food, meats and anything missing from Asda, Tesco or Morrisons and we plan ahead to try and get a cheaper delivery slot. But again around £35.00 of more is needed to get a cheaper delivery slot.

With this process, I have found that we get less substitutions but we do sometimes get items that are out of stock. Maybe it could be something for you to test drive? Doing smaller shops from different retailers and seeing what could work best? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sheelee1955
    Options
    Hi Hannah,
    Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to find out which supermarket is most reliable in the area where I live. But I hadn't thought about using 2 supermarkets. 
    I know Iceland offer a good service.  I used to use it when shopping in store, then leaving it for them to deliver later in the day. 
    I suppose I like to have 1 place where I can get everything,  but that relates more to me shopping myself. Shopping around carrying goods became impossible as my mobility deteriorated.  
    I only have a delivery every 3 or 4 weeks!! I have been shopping myself in between times for perishable goods.  So 3 from 4 failures makes it even more incredulous.  I just asked about  reliability when I had my pre op assessment for a hip replacement.  All I got from Tescos was callousness and making out that I was being too demanding, even though I said I could ensure I can manage for up to 72 hours for them to delivery following a failed delivery. A bit of a cheek as I've been having to pay for taxis for goods they should have delivered!!

Anyway, not to bore you further.

Happy New Year, 

Sheelee1955
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Oh @Sheelee1955 I'm so sorry Tesco were so rude to you. That's not on at all and it is very cheeky!

Can I ask, do you drive? or have someone that could drive you? we had a fantastic click and collect experience with Morrisons over Christmas. When we arrived, we clicked a link in a message sent, clicked we arrived and what bay we were in and they brought it out to us. We were told that morning what wasn't in stock for the order and then popped over to another supermarket to pick up the missing bits.

If you do decide to do more deliveries so you don't always have to be shopping yourself, a lot of supermarkets offer delivery saver cards. May be something to look into? I know that feeling though, of wanting to get out yourself. Especially to look at dates when it comes to perishables. 

And no one bored here! Chat away :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Sheelee1955
    Options
    I was concerned about a period post op when I will have a period of being housebound. Otherwise, your solution would be great. I could also check out what they have in store that they didn't offer as an option when ordering. I may think about what you are saying away from that period of time. 
    Thanks Hannah_Scope
  • Sheelee1955
    Options
    Hi Hannah_Scope

I've looked up community transport in my area, as someone suggested. There is a service in my area, so whilst I am able to get out I can use the click and collect service if community transport agree to support me. 
    I'm going to try out another supermarket for reliability when I will need it after my hip replacement.  

Thanks for replying Hannah, and Happy New Year, 

Sheelee1955
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Your welcome @Sheelee1955

Hope you had a lovely New Years :)<3
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.