If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Bubbles007!

Options
Bubbles007
Bubbles007 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2022 in Start here and say hello!
I'm 63 young and chronic back pain . 214 Had back op.  Since then I've had continued chronic pain... 3 lots of 6 facet joint I junctions, burning of the nerves, pain management, 
Right leg pain with numbness and pins and needles in both feet. Get spasms where i cant move in pain, have had 2 x right leg completly numb and cd not feel a thing then came back, 3 verterbrae with no discs Dr was going to fuse and do  a cage around, he concentrated more on my leg and said back op won't necessarily help back pain but would help leg pain .. I said I can tolerate the leg but what's the use if it does not help back chronic pain. He said he can't help me further and referred me to pain management again to get spinal vibrating thing so I wait but have amongst other things got moderate  stenosis.
Other mri say disc bulge, stenosis, bone spurs ..
Two weeks ago I wet myself whilst driving and have been constipated .

I work 4 days a week suffer chronic I want to get sick with it .. have now decided to apply for pip... any comments are appreciated.i take naproxin and overcdosexwith it to get a relief but it makes me sleep. I have lidocaine plasters that are my reach for 1st thing in am and on fluorine.

I'm in Northern irelandxand would appreciate any comments.

I've read stenosis is serious if not treated... 

Kind regards
Moira

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Bubbles007 and welcome, thanks for joining the community and explaining what's been happening lately. I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're having managing your chronic pain. 

Have you spoken to your GP about what happened while you were driving, and the constipation since? Do you feel like your getting enough support to manage everything day to day? 
    i take naproxin and overcdosexwith it to get a relief but it makes me sleep.
    I'm concerned to read about this, I'd strongly advise you speak to your GP about your pain management plan and treatment, as they can help if you feel your naproxin isn't doing the job it needs to. 

I know a few of our members live with spinal stenosis, so you can always visit the chronic pain and pain management category to chat with others going through similar. The NHS information on spinal stenosis is as follows: 

"Spinal stenosis
    Spinal stenosis is a condition where the space around the spinal cord (the spinal column) narrows, compressing a section of nerve tissue.
    The main symptoms of spinal stenosis are pain, numbness, weakness and a tingling sensation in one or both legs. This can make walking difficult and painful.
    Most cases of spinal stenosis occur in older people. As you get older, the bones and tissues that make up the spine can become worn down, which can lead to a narrowing of the spinal column."

If you'd like support with applying for PIP, please feel free to ask a question over in our PIP category, as we have plenty of knowledgeable members who can assist. 

Please ask if you'd like any help, or I've missed anything, and we'll do what we can to help.

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi @Bubbles007 - & welcome to the community.
    From my understanding as a retired physio, it can be the case that sometimes further surgery is more likely to help with leg, rather than back pain, & sometimes further surgery isn't considered as it may make matters worse.
    From the info Alex has provided from the NHS website, you can see that as we age stenosis is fairly common. As your stenosis is deemed to be 'moderate' on the whole I'd not be concerned. There is however a rare problem that can occur called Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is also mentioned on the same NHS site that Alex quoted from. The 'red flags' for this are numbness around your back passage & genitalia, together with bladder & bowel dysfunction (the bladder part is usually being unable to pass urine). This is just to make you aware to seek treatment immediately if this should occur.
    However, again as Alex suggested, I would see your GP to get their advice; not least the fact it seems like you're taking more Naproxen than you've been prescribed.
    Sometimes, again as we get older, there can be problems with urinary incontinence, again, this can be discussed with your GP. What is helpful; something I used to teach, is learning how to effectively do pelvic floor exercises, which would be the first thing I'd try: https://www.csp.org.uk/conditions/incontinence/exercise-advice-incontinence It's a good thing to learn anyway!
    As far as constipation goes (again please discuss with your GP), but are you keeping yourself well hydrated & eating plenty of veg & fruit?

I work 4 days a week suffer chronic I want to get sick with it .. have now decided to apply for pip...
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this, but have you looked into perhaps reducing your hours, asking for 'reasonable adjustments' at work: https://www.acas.org.uk/reasonable-adjustments or claiming Statuary Sick Pay?: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/statutory-sick-pay
    As far as PIP goes, you can claim this & work (so long as the work you do doesn't contradict your claim). You would start by claiming here: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/personal-independence-payment-pip#toc-5
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Hello @Bubbles007 and welcome, thanks for joining the community and explaining what's been happening lately. I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're having managing your chronic pain. 

Have you spoken to your GP about what happened while you were driving, and the constipation since? Do you feel like your getting enough support to manage everything day to day? 
    i take naproxin and overcdosexwith it to get a relief but it makes me sleep.
    I'm concerned to read about this, I'd strongly advise you speak to your GP about your pain management plan and treatment, as they can help if you feel your naproxin isn't doing the job it needs to. 

I know a few of our members live with spinal stenosis, so you can always visit the chronic pain and pain management category to chat with others going through similar. The NHS information on spinal stenosis is as follows: 

"Spinal stenosis
    Spinal stenosis is a condition where the space around the spinal cord (the spinal column) narrows, compressing a section of nerve tissue.
    The main symptoms of spinal stenosis are pain, numbness, weakness and a tingling sensation in one or both legs. This can make walking difficult and painful.
    Most cases of spinal stenosis occur in older people. As you get older, the bones and tissues that make up the spine can become worn down, which can lead to a narrowing of the spinal column."

If you'd like support with applying for PIP, please feel free to ask a question over in our PIP category, as we have plenty of knowledgeable members who can assist. 

Please ask if you'd like any help, or I've missed anything, and we'll do what we can to help.

Hi Alex thank you so much for your feedback... really appreciate your time and comments xx big hug 🫂 🤗 
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Bubbles007 - & welcome to the community.
    From my understanding as a retired physio, it can be the case that sometimes further surgery is more likely to help with leg, rather than back pain, & sometimes further surgery isn't considered as it may make matters worse.
    From the info Alex has provided from the NHS website, you can see that as we age stenosis is fairly common. As your stenosis is deemed to be 'moderate' on the whole I'd not be concerned. There is however a rare problem that can occur called Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is also mentioned on the same NHS site that Alex quoted from. The 'red flags' for this are numbness around your back passage & genitalia, together with bladder & bowel dysfunction (the bladder part is usually being unable to pass urine). This is just to make you aware to seek treatment immediately if this should occur.
    However, again as Alex suggested, I would see your GP to get their advice; not least the fact it seems like you're taking more Naproxen than you've been prescribed.
    Sometimes, again as we get older, there can be problems with urinary incontinence, again, this can be discussed with your GP. What is helpful; something I used to teach, is learning how to effectively do pelvic floor exercises, which would be the first thing I'd try: https://www.csp.org.uk/conditions/incontinence/exercise-advice-incontinence It's a good thing to learn anyway!
    As far as constipation goes (again please discuss with your GP), but are you keeping yourself well hydrated & eating plenty of veg & fruit?

I work 4 days a week suffer chronic I want to get sick with it .. have now decided to apply for pip...
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this, but have you looked into perhaps reducing your hours, asking for 'reasonable adjustments' at work: https://www.acas.org.uk/reasonable-adjustments or claiming Statuary Sick Pay?: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/statutory-sick-pay
    As far as PIP goes, you can claim this & work (so long as the work you do doesn't contradict your claim). You would start by claiming here: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/personal-independence-payment-pip#toc-5
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    @Chiarieds Good afternoon to you.
    Thank you for that feedback ..  much appreciated 🙏 ☺️ 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community 
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Welcome, and please, if you’re in pain and your mobility is affected, apply for pip. It’s there to help people in difficulty. I know sometimes it’s a very long process but you are deserving. Give it a go, and if you’re successful, you can cut your hours down. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.