New claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New claim

Options
emma2880
emma2880 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
I applied for uc today as my time on income support has come to a end, I filled all the form online told them about my health problems gave details of sick note etc and then I receive a text to say I need to go to the job centre to prepare and attend first commitments appointment. The thing is I clearly stated I have severe anxiety, social anxiety and emotionally unstable personality disorder..the thought of going out made me have a panic attack and I threw up! I phoned them and told them all this while crying my eyes out and she advised me to write in the journal what I have just said and to request a telephone appointment..I was just wondering if anyone has had this and if they have actually made them go and have a face to face? I would rather be left homeless and with no money than do it..(that’s how bad I am) I applied for pip and had a paper based assesment for the same mentioned reasons..I am not going to be able to sleep thinking about this. Any information would be great.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @emma2880 I'm sorry to hear that this has caused such distress for you! I think if you do as advised and explain what's happened in your journal, you can ask for a telephone appointment as a reasonable adjustment.

The job centre have a duty under the equality act to make an adjustment to their processes if one is requested, as not doing so may amount to disability discrimination.

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight, please let us know how things go, and if we can support you further as well. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming UC you are classed as a job seeker until a decision on your work capability assessment says otherwise. It's a work coaches discretion whether they turn off or reduce commiments, some do and others don't. You can ask for telephone appointments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emma2880
    emma2880 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou for your help, do you know if I will still receive any payments from income support or child tax credits while I am waiting for uc to pay?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    emma2880 said:
    Thankyou for your help, do you know if I will still receive any payments from income support or child tax credits while I am waiting for uc to pay?

Tax credits has now ended as you've claimed UC and you will receive no further payments from them. Income Support should continue for 2 weeks and then stop. If you're claiming housing benefit then this will also continue for 2 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.