UC Rent help with tenancy agreement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Rent help with tenancy agreement

Options
needhelp120
needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello, I've been renting a room from my private landlord for over 2 years now. When I first got my tenancy agreement there was a separate note with it saying that I'd also be expected to pay £52 on top of the rent for the water/gas and maintenance of the building. The next two tenancy agreements did not come with this note but it was the general understanding that the £52 must be paid each month on top of the rent and I have always paid it. I was just looking on the turn2us calculator and it said that you can include these charges with your rent with UC if you rent privately. I've just received my new tenancy agreement but there isn't a note with it stating I have to pay this extra amount each month, even though I do have to, to keep living there. But I understand that I would need proof of this to show universal credit a change in my rent. What am I best to do? Should I ask my landlord to amend my tenancy agreement and just change the rent to the full amount including the extra cost? or just ask him to add a line in it saying I must pay an extra £52 a month towards utilities/maintenance. It's kind of annoying I've been paying all this extra money which could have been covered by UC. I don't how to go about asking my landlord to amend my tenancy agreement, his incase he asks why. I don't really want to disclose that I am on benefits. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge the housing element cannot cover payments towards water and gas. A charge for building maintenance could be covered.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Housing-overview-Universal-Credit
    The services charges should really be spelt out in the tenancy agreement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • schoolmum
    schoolmum Scope Member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @needhelp120

Calcotti is correct as always in the advice given above.

Housing element cannot be paid to cover payments for water, gas, electricity, telephone or council tax if applicable and charged for by the landlord. 
    If charged for building maintenance then in certain circumstances it may be covered but building maintenance is usually a very nominal pro- rata amount and stated in the tenancy agreement and then included in the rent payable which you are already being paid benefit for.  

Some tenancy agreements are written as  'All Inclusive' agreements, ie for rent and utilities etc added together, but these services/utilities that may be provided in the total cost would be not included in the housing element part of Universal Credit that is paid to you as that would then mean you were gaining additional benefits for the utilities you are using.
    All households have to pay for any utilities they use.
    You are paying your landlord for water, gas etc. Rather than paying the utility providers direct.
    Hope this makes sense and clarifies it for you.

Regards 
    Schoolmum

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    schoolmum said:
    Very kind but, although I try my best, not always.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    schoolmum said:
    Very kind but, although I try my best, not always.

No one is perfect and we all make typos, i know i've made many over the years. If spotted we quote and correct it, then move on.
    To be fair, your knowledge is amazing and i have never found it to be anything less.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • schoolmum
    schoolmum Scope Member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Options
    @poppy123456
    @calcotti

Well I think you are both brill.....and anyway what's a little typo between such nice friends? Haha

The Scope community are very lucky that both of you along with a few other members give so much of your time to help and advise.
    Your self taught indepth knowledge is invaluable
    and It's such a relief knowing we can always  'pick your brains' when needed....and more importantly receive the correct advice from you.

Anyway enough praise and compliments as I wouldn't want you to get big headed but thank you for all that you do for us....typos included.

Hope you had a perfect Christmas Poppy with your lovely family. I certainly did with mine. It was tiring but worth it.

A happy and healthier New Year is wished for all of us
    Schoolmum.💕

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @schoolmum that's very kind of you! I had a lovely Christmas and New year thank you. Spent Christmas day at my eldest daughters house with my 2 grandchildren, first time i've spent the day with them at Christmas so it was very special.
    Glad you had a good Christmas too!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.