Hi, my name is cornishmummy! Seeking guidance with Daughters education — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is cornishmummy! Seeking guidance with Daughters education

Options
cornishmummy
cornishmummy Scope Member Posts: 28 Connected
edited January 2023 in Education
I’m here to seek help and advice plus some much needed guidance. 
My daughter is 11 in year 7 at secondary and hasn’t had an education for 16 months now. 
We have an EHCP which I don’t agree with the school or the content so I’m now going to tribunal. 
Got my tribunal date through and it’s in November, by which time the EHCP I’m appealing will be out off date and nearly 28 months without education for my daughter. 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,555 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Got my tribunal date through and it’s in November,
    Was that a typo? Are you saying the date for the hearing is November 2023? I'd advise you to contact IPSEA for some expert advice. Details here. https://www.ipsea.org.uk/contact-ipsea

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cornishmummy
    Options
    Yea that correct. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @cornishmummy

Have they explained or given a reason as to why the appointment is so far away? 

Just to let you know, I've placed your post in our Education section of the forum, in the hopes more people can see and advise :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • cornishmummy
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope
    I haven’t rang the courts as my rep from sendiass said the courts are backlogged . 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Do they have an email address? Maybe send an email saying you know they have a backlog but wanted to confirm there was no other reason for the delay? 

It's not a process I know a lot about, but I am a "cover all the bases" kind of person so sorry if this is something you've already thought of. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,
    I had reason to email HMCTS when DWP didn`t respond by the date given; this is the email address I used:
    contactsscs@justice.gov.uk

• cornishmummy
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope
    i did ring them yesterday and ask what the hold up was and was told to do a request for change which may get the hearing moved forward. 

Thanks for your help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,555 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you have a rep you should be speaking them because they will be the best person to advise you, they will have experience with things like this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cornishmummy
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope
    Unfortunately their so busy that I’ve been waiting for a question to be answered which I asked beginning off December . Gets answered in date order. 
    So sadly some stuff I have to learn as I go . 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @cornishmummy That's so frustrating, I do really hope you get your answers soon. Have you thought about talking to your local MP? They can be a great support in times like this, and they may be able to shine a light to any alternative ways to get help for your daughter. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• cornishmummy
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope

Cllr Barbara Ellenbroek | Cabinet member Children and Families Learning and Skills.

That’s who’s I’ve contacted and was told to work with the school and SEN caseworker . 

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @cornishmummy and is she also your Local MP? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @cornishmummy. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate the courage it can take to reach out, especially when things are difficult.

It sounds positive that there is an EHCP which is already in place. However, if you don’t agree with the school or the content, your best first point of call is your local authority.

Have you already tried to contact your local authority to appeal the EHCP and, if so, how did this go for you? The EHCP, by law, has to be reviewed every 12 months.

Therefore, you could also mention the disagreements you have with the school and content in the EHCP annual review meeting.

Does this help at all? We are all here for you and listening to you. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.