Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

ESA50

Options
Jonnyc
Jonnyc Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
By scoring a total of 15 points in any 'one' activity are you put by default into the limited capability for work related activities group or are there other considerations at play ? Is it down to the Health Assessor at the WCA or DWP ?

ESA seems a lot more focused on specific tasks compared to PIP - how on earth do I  get evidence that directly targets such things as carrying cartons and negotiating 2 steps  ? Will they just infer from my documents whether I can or cannot do these things or will they actually test my ability to carry cartons and go up and down 2 steps at the WCA ?

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,076 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    For the Support Group it's not about scoring points, you need to satisfy just one of the descriptors, or regulation 35 (substantial risk) is also part of it. Both can be seen here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/support-group-descriptors
    You don't need to get evidence that targets those specific things, you just send what relevant evidence you have regarding your health condition. When filling out the form you should also give a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Giving a full explanation of exactly what happened.
    No they don't ask you to do any such tasks during the WCA, they mostly just obseve you.
    Edit to add, a lot of assessments are by phone so there won't be any observations in this case.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    Thank you.

Glad to hear they do not ask you to carry out tasks at the WCA. Are they currently doing phone assessments like PIP ? In that case, observations are not possible.

How long is the waiting time for a WCA?
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    I see you have edited regarding the phone - thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes WCA can be by phone, video or face to face. I did edit my comment recently to add that observations wouldn't take place if it's a phone assessment.
    There are long delays with the WCA so it could be several months wait.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    Thank you.

One more thing - I see there is such a thing as a severe conditions category for ESA - by being put in this category does it mean you are never - or at least are very unlikely to be - reassessed ? I cannot find much information about this category online.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jonnyc said:
    Thank you.

One more thing - I see there is such a thing as a severe conditions category for ESA - by being put in this category does it mean you are never - or at least are very unlikely to be - reassessed ? I cannot find much information about this category online.
    It would be unfair if they didn't reassess you again because things might change in the future but I don't know the proper answer 
  • Jonnyc
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you. My feeling was it is maybe for those conditions without hope of a cure or restoration of functional impairment- degenerative diseases etc.
  • Jonnyc
    Options
    Have found the answer - though I have no idea if it is up to date. Advice for DWP staff when there is no realistic hope of improvement

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Severeconditionsguidance.pdf
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Jonnyc said:
    Thank you.

It would be unfair if they didn't reassess you again because things might change in the future but I don't know the proper answer 

That's not correct. There is such a thing as the severe conditions group for ESA Support Group. It means that if you're placed into this group then you will remain in that group with no further reviews for as long as you remain entitled to it. (see link posted above)
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jonnyc said:
    Thank you.

That's not correct. There is such a thing as the severe conditions group for ESA Support Group. It means that if you're placed into this group then you will remain in that group with no further reviews for as long as you remain entitled to it. (see link posted above)
    I'm so sorry for giving the wrong advice thank you for the feedback 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.