Carers Allowance - justfication for rate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance - justfication for rate

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,606 Pioneering
How do DWP justify such a low rate for CA ?
They require the carer to wotk for a minimum of 35 hours a week at a pay rate of considerably less than £2 per hour !
What do Europe / US pay their carers ?
The alternative in many cases is paying £1000 per week +  for professional carers - so (family) carers are USED to save the country £billions
Its about time that carers were paid a living wage ...

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,711 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CA like all benefits will increase in April by 10.1% taking the payment to around £77 a week but have to agree even that will be too low.

I feel even more for young people who care for a parent and get no payment whatsoever.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    woodbine said:
    CA like all benefits will increase in April by 10.1% taking the payment to around £77 a week but have to agree even that will be too low.

I feel even more for young people who care for a parent and get no payment whatsoever.

I agree - the government has always used, severely underpaid private individuals to do their dirty work and will no doubt always do so 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agreed, quite appalling really and I know that they can get a top-up from Universal Credit but even then it’s still very low. 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Agreed, quite appalling really and I know that they can get a top-up from Universal Credit but even then it’s still very low. 

Not when she (or I) have a relatively small amount in savings !
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agreed it's very low. However, if someone is claiming another benefit as well such as Income Support/UC/Income Related ESA then it's just deducted in full so it makes no difference anyway.
    For UC you don't need to claim CA to be entitled to carers element, however, if someone is already claiming LCWRA for theirself they can't receive the carers element at the same time.
    Wibbles said:
    bg844 said:

It depends on how much savings you have. If it's more than £16,000 then yes, you're both excluded from all means tested benefits. If it's less than £16,000 then there's a £4.35/month deduction for every £250 or part there of over £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Agreed it's very low. However, if someone is claiming another benefit as well such as Income Support/UC/Income Related ESA then it's just deducted in full so it makes no difference anyway.
    For UC you don't need to claim CA to be entitled to carers element, however, if someone is already claiming LCWRA for theirself they can't receive the carers element at the same time.
    Wibbles said:
    bg844 said:

It depends on how much savings you have. If it's more than £16,000 then yes, you're both excluded from all means tested benefits. If it's less than £16,000 then there's a £4.35/month deduction for every £250 or part there of over £6,000.
    It's more than £16k but since I took medical retirement (first time) at age 47
    It's going to have to last us up to another 50 years!
    And she's not claiming any other benefits 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    The nearest that I can find in the US is "caregivers allowance" for Veterans carers
    And as long as you fit the bill - you receive up to $2803 per month !!

Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers

This program provides a monthly stipend to family members who serve as caregivers for veterans who need assistance with everyday activities because of a serious injury or illness sustained in the line of duty on or before May 7, 1975, or on or after Sept. 11, 2001. (Benefits will be extended in October 2022 to veterans who suffered a service-related disability between those dates.)

The veteran must be enrolled in VA health services, have a disability rating (individual or combined) of 70 percent or higher, and need either personal care related to everyday activities or supervision or protection because of their condition. The caregiver must be 18 or older and a child, parent, spouse, stepfamily member, extended family member or full-time housemate of the veteran.

The stipends are based on federal pay rates for the region where an eligible veteran lives. The caregiver receives 62.5 percent or 100 percent of the pay rate, depending on the level of supervision and help with daily activities the veteran needs. A family caregiver in Dallas, for example, would receive $1,752 or $2,803 a month, according to a VA fact sheet on the program.

• Golden12
    Golden12 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Carer's Allowance is worth £69.70 per week.
    This definitely needs a review a change definitely as a carer does far more it’s unfair has to do 35 hours its underpaid. Look at if u go to work this doesn’t even cover one day if you went to work. Disabled people are left to fend for themselves. 

live-in carer is paid between £770/week and £1,134/week depending on who they work for and the complexity of the job. 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Golden12 said:
    Carer's Allowance is worth £69.70 per week.
    This definitely needs a review a change definitely as a carer does far more it’s unfair has to do 35 hours its underpaid. Look at if u go to work this doesn’t even cover one day if you went to work. Disabled people are left to fend for themselves. 

live-in carer is paid between £770/week and £1,134/week depending on who they work for and the complexity of the job. 
    My wife does everything for me 
    Plus she has her own health issues to contend with 
    She also has to do the gardening, shopping, driving etc etc 
    It's about time that someone started to campaign for better treatment for carers 
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    Options
    The current Government's response to increasing C.A (possibly to the miminum wage) was that it was never intended to be a wage, but simply a top up for those "Volunteering" to give care.
    My heart sank when I read that statement, in my case (and for the majority of carers I'm sure) I am a carer because I love the people I care for. 
    However, f I decided to stop "volunteering" what then? 
    It would cost a lot more to care for two young adults through social services, that's for sure. 

Basically carers have been (and continue to be) ignored, because we won't stop caring and the Government knows it! 

• Wibbles
    Options
    Luna51 said:
    The current Government's response to increasing C.A (possibly to the miminum wage) was that it was never intended to be a wage, but simply a top up for those "Volunteering" to give care.
    My heart sank when I read that statement, in my case (and for the majority of carers I'm sure) I am a carer because I love the people I care for. 
    However, f I decided to stop "volunteering" what then? 
    It would cost a lot more to care for two young adults through social services, that's for sure. 

Basically carers have been (and continue to be) ignored, because we won't stop caring and the Government knows it! 

I think that "used" is a better description 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    The nearest that I can find in the US is "caregivers allowance" for Veterans carers

This program provides a monthly stipend to family members who serve as caregivers for veterans who need assistance with everyday activities because of a serious injury or illness sustained in the line of duty on or before May 7, 1975, or on or after Sept. 11, 2001. (Benefits will be extended in October 2022 to veterans who suffered a service-related disability between those dates.)

The veteran must be enrolled in VA health services, have a disability rating (individual or combined) of 70 percent or higher, and need either personal care related to everyday activities or supervision or protection because of their condition. The caregiver must be 18 or older and a child, parent, spouse, stepfamily member, extended family member or full-time housemate of the veteran.

The stipends are based on federal pay rates for the region where an eligible veteran lives. The caregiver receives 62.5 percent or 100 percent of the pay rate, depending on the level of supervision and help with daily activities the veteran needs. A family caregiver in Dallas, for example, would receive $1,752 or $2,803 a month, according to a VA fact sheet on the program.

Don't get me started on what happens to Vets in the UK. We are supposed to get priority treatment from the NHS and free counselling. 

Instead of looking at the 'money minded' folk in the USA. Take a leaf out of the book as to what happens in Asian countries. The younger generation take the older generation and those that need care into their own homes but don't get any compensation. Surely what should be happening is that families should be caring for those that can't care for themselves. My family has already got this in place where both of our daughters have a home big enough for us when the times comes.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:

Don't get me started on what happens to Vets in the UK. We are supposed to get priority treatment from the NHS and free counselling. 

Instead of looking at the 'money minded' folk in the USA. Take a leaf out of the book as to what happens in Asian countries. The younger generation take the older generation and those that need care into their own homes but don't get any compensation. Surely what should be happening is that families should be caring for those that can't care for themselves. My family has already got this in place where both of our daughters have a home big enough for us when the times comes.

What if the person has no family or family member has their own problems ?
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    The point that I was trying to get over is that looking after a vulnerable member of a family should be the responsibility of the family at large.
    I looked after my now deceased father who came to live with us and at no time did I think that I should be compensated at a decent hourly rate by the government for looking after him. I didn't even claim Carers Allowance either. It's what families do or should do.
    No one is compelled to look after anyone it is done out of family loyalty and simple caring for others.
    Those without any family would be the responsibility of Social Services.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    The point that I was trying to get over is that looking after a vulnerable member of a family should be the responsibility of the family at large.
    I looked after my now deceased father who came to live with us and at no time did I think that I should be compensated at a decent hourly rate by the government for looking after him. I didn't even claim Carers Allowance either. It's what families do or should do.
    No one is compelled to look after anyone it is done out of family loyalty and simple caring for others.
    Those without any family would be the responsibility of Social Services.

In an ideal world yes I agree but it doesn't work like that.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.