Thinking of returning to work..... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thinking of returning to work.....

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,611 Pioneering
edited January 2023 in Work and employment
I have medically retired 3 times from various jobs and am thinking of returning to work yet again.- not for financial reasons - more boredom 
 I am not quite 60 years old 
I do receive 3 different ill health pensions that I don't believe will be affected by any new employment (as long as I stay away from the actual businesses concerned) 
But how do I decide what to do?

I am an IT/ICT bod but need to work from home due to lack of mobility etc etc 
Any suggestions as to what to do? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles

I am someone who never stops so I understand when the boredom kicks in! I think there are many different positions out there, but like you said it's being 100% work from home. 

Have you thought about tutoring in I.C.T? You could do it from home, keep your own hours and you have so many different areas of I.C.T that people are always looking to learn about. From internet and computer safety to how to use software's like Microsoft. I know my friends son had additional lessons on Microsoft as he needed it for school, but 1 teacher and 34 students in a class...
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,678 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles

I am someone who never stops so I understand when the boredom kicks in! I think there are many different positions out there, but like you said it's being 100% work from home. 

Have you thought about tutoring in I.C.T? You could do it from home, keep your own hours and you have so many different areas of I.C.T that people are always looking to learn about. From internet and computer safety to how to use software's like Microsoft. I know my friends son had additional lessons on Microsoft as he needed it for school, but 1 teacher and 34 students in a class...
    I'm with yous two I never want to stop and relax so I found Scopes charity shop to volunteer in maybe you could do the same.
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have another disability - poor /lack of speech
    So could never consider any job that necessitated speaking 
    Such as tutoring
    I am experienced in IT security though having worked for government - seems a waste to let that go
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I think some government bodies use live online chat help systems, may be worth seeing if any of those positions fit you and are from home? :)

I also know, with your IT background, some hosting sites use 24/7 online chat help. There are lots more people creating their own websites these days.
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I think some government bodies use live online chat help systems, may be worth seeing if any of those positions fit you and are from home? :)

I also know, with your IT background, some hosting sites use 24/7 online chat help. There are lots more people creating their own websites these days.

Thanks - that is more ART and DESIGN - I am not aufait with website design - I am more HANDS ON HARDWARE - But thanks, I will take a look

I really want to get away from IT and start afresh - but what can I do / learn ?
    There must be some way of finding out what work would suit me - school leavers get tons of support
    I left school 43 years ago

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    You can take online career tests. Whether you believe there is science to them or not, it may give you some ideas of where to look :) 

Oh my friend had issues with the coding side which is where they needed the chat for help. Accidently deleted half their website  :#:D 

Another idea, just an outside of the box thought. When I said I can't not be busy, when I was unwell and housebound, I started researching my family history. May be an idea / project for you and if it's something you enjoy, may be a way to work too?
    Hannah - She / Her

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not sure on this one @Wibbles but i have seen "under writers" advertised in some of my mags - would that be something ??????? 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Not sure on this one @Wibbles but i have seen "under writers" advertised in some of my mags - would that be something ??????? 

"Underwriters" are to be involved in the Insurance industry - They determine risk for whether to approve an applicant. They take specific information about an applicant and enter it into a program.
    So thanks - but not my field of expertise !

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm wondering if our employment services could help @Wibbles? One of our friendly advisers may be able to help you work out what career path could suit you best. 

I know it came under some heat, but you may also be interested in doing the National Careers Service's skills assessment. It only takes around 10 minutes to complete.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Well - the National Careers Service one was next to useless - it came up with Events Manager and Events Manager - neither of these suit me since they both involve speaking to the public
    Your own employment services - was no better - to start with, only Support to Work was relevant (the others were for youngsters or not in my area) and when I try registering/logging on - it tells me "EMAIL ALREADY IN USE.........." - Which is true - I am already using it on this forum - but no way ahead with that either
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Well - the National Careers Service one was next to useless - it came up with Events Manager and Events Manager - neither of these suit me since they both involve speaking to the public
    Your own employment services - was no better - to start with, only Support to Work was relevant (the others were for youngsters or not in my area) and when I try registering/logging on - it tells me "EMAIL ALREADY IN USE.........." - Which is true - I am already using it on this forum - but no way ahead with that either
     They have this email address supporttowork@scope.org.uk maybe they can help with the email issue??

Just a thought: They have a login section on this page maybe if your email is already in use could it just be your forum login details? Do they work across whole of scope? I don't actually know https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry that you've had some trouble signing up to our Support to Work service @wibbles. Is it possible that you've ever signed up to the service before?

As far as I understand, I don't think that you having used your email address for the community should affect your ability to use the same email address for our other services. I also don't believe you can use your community log in details to sign in to other types of Scope accounts.

I'd encourage you to email them, as biblioklept has said. Or I could email them on your behalf, if you consent to that?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.