Research Panel &Scope Membership — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research Panel &Scope Membership

Options
daz2
daz2 Community member, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 120 Pioneering
edited January 2023 in Research and opportunities
Hi people. Has anyone else who is  member of Scope been told they cannot be a member of the Research Panel? I've been a member of Scope since the mid-90's & on the Research Panel for a long time. I received an email about 90 minutes ago telling me that because I am a member of Scope I have been removed from the Research Panel as due to familiarisation I cannot be both a member of Scope and on the Research Panel. I actually had a discussion with Scope last year about being a member of the charity and doing research through the panel & I was told it was fine and I could do both. Does anyone know when the policy changed and why?

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's strange I do both and have no problems with it.
  • daz2
    Options
    This is what the email said...

Dear Darren,

The Research Panel Team wishes you a happy new year 2023.

We would also like to inform you that we have noticed that you are also a Scope Member.

However, due to familiarisation, a Scope member cannot be a panellist. Therefore, we have changed your status in the panel and now, you cannot take part in any project.

If you wish to discuss the change with us, feel free to contact us.

Cordially,

Scope Research Panel team

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would maybe just contact them and ask why 
  • daz2
    Options
    I have emailed them. It hurts as I've been doing research projects on various subjects for Scope for over 25 years & then I get that email.
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,380 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options

I also received the same email from the scope research panel but I had not been helping the research panel at scope for long@daz2 but I agree it just feels like a bit of the teeth

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi daz2, I too have received the very same email. Like you, I wasn’t aware it would make any difference so I’ve emailed back querying why this is. 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @daz2 , I have also received the same email. I'm not sure I know what it means. But to be honest, I am feeling so ill, whatever it is, it doesn't matter! I have enough on my plate without trying to work out what this email means.
    I hope you get an answer! 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    daz2 said:
    Does anyone know when the policy changed and why?

Hi @daz2 and everyone else who received that email.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment and apologies for the confusion. Please allow me to talk with my colleagues on the Research Panel to sort this out. We will get back to you as soon as possible with a more detailed explanation. But in the meantime please rest assured that we are taking on board your feedback.

Sorry again, and speak soon,

Giovanni
    Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
    Membership Programme Lead
    Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • daz2
    Options
    It says that I can longer be on involved in Scope projects. You have no much that hurts and how upset I am after 25 years of doing projects for Scope in my own time and on many occasions at my own expense. The email reads like a redundancy notice. 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options

Hi everyone,

Earlier today the Research Panel team sent an email to 57 Scope members who are also part of the Research Panel.

We apologise if the email came across as blunt and for any confusion caused. We would like to clarify a few things. 

You are still a panellist

First, we want to reassure you that you are still part of the Research Panel.

You can still access your profile and your rewards as usual.

We have just set your research panel status on “inactive”. This is temporary and can be reverted any time :smile:

The incompatibility issue

We did this because it’s best practice that a member of a research panel is not involved with the panel’s organisation in other ways.

This is due to the so-called “familiarisation effect”: the more you are involved with the organisation, the more biased your responses will be. This would impact the consistency of our research.

I will personally talk with the Research Panel team to see if we can reconsider this decision. We will keep you posted.

What can you do now

In the meantime, if you wish to keep collaborating with Scope research panel, please email both researchpanel@scope.org.uk and membership@scope.org.uk and we will discuss this further with you.

Thank you for your understanding,

Giovanni Gaetani
    Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
    Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options

Hi everyone,

Earlier today the Research Panel team sent an email to 57 Scope members who are also part of the Research Panel.

We apologise if the email came across as blunt and for any confusion caused. We would like to clarify a few things. 

You are still a panellist

First, we want to reassure you that you are still part of the Research Panel.

You can still access your profile and your rewards as usual.

We have just set your research panel status on “inactive”. This is temporary and can be reverted any time :smile:

The incompatibility issue

We did this because it’s best practice that a member of a research panel is not involved with the panel’s organisation in other ways.

This is due to the so-called “familiarisation effect”: the more you are involved with the organisation, the more biased your responses will be. This would impact the consistency of our research.

I will personally talk with the Research Panel team to see if we can reconsider this decision. We will keep you posted.

What can you do now

In the meantime, if you wish to keep collaborating with Scope research panel, please email both researchpanel@scope.org.uk and membership@scope.org.uk and we will discuss this further with you.

Thank you for your understanding,

Giovanni Gaetani
    Thanks for this information @Giovanni_Scope he's good at sorting things out. Hopefully you are sorted now @daz2 are you? 
  • daz2
    Options
    Yes thanks durhamjadie2001. I had a chat to Giovanni this afternoon and sorted it out.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    daz2 said:
    Yes thanks durhamjadie2001. I had a chat to Giovanni this afternoon and sorted it out.
    Lovely I'm pleased you are all sorted @Giovanni_Scope is lovely isn't he? 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Giovanni_Scope for sorting this out. I received this email too and also want to be a part of both if possible. I'll email both email addresses now  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.