AudioBooks - can you recommend a reader? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AudioBooks - can you recommend a reader?

Options
LOPILUGS
LOPILUGS Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited January 2023 in Coffee lounge
Hi hoping for advice here. I love reading-eyesight failing-turning to audio books-Problem !!.
Unfortunately I am also  audio dead in  left ear, and need  hearing aid in right to function. Can anyone recommend a reader for its clarity ?. I will be joining the RNIB soon and their books are all on a stick, so hopefully if from no other source the RNIB will advise me on that one. However I have been and seen  how many hundreds of books on CD's there are in the local library, and if I could use both  resources  it would be  soooo uplifting for me. So a reader that has really great clarity and plays CD's if you can recommend,. Thank you for reading this. Appreciated

Comments

• Mimikyu
    Mimikyu Community member Posts: 23 Listener
    Options
    I've no personal recommendations but have you tried using something like Audible as they do lots of free samples so you can try different readers and find one that works well for you then look for a CD with that reader? They usually offer free trials as well as samples too. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with your search @LOPILUGS
  • LOPILUGS
    Options
    Thankyou Mimikyu. I have never heard of Audible.  Is this an on line offering?   Can you give me more knowledge please, sound kust what I may be looking for.
  • LOPILUGS
    Options
    Had success in my search for an audio reader. It takes sticks from RNIB, is about the same size as a crredit card, and importantly is ecxtra simple to use. The ear phones are extra light and although deaf in one ear and impaired in the other , I can use this reader with ease and comfort.   British made KingsAccess  SOLO Personal Audio Player. Love it. My new best friend.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why don't you try podcasts I love them 
  • LOPILUGS
    Options
    Possibly because I find the Solo such an easy and convenient device. Each to his own, I have tried podcasts vbut can hear the Solo with more ease. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds positive that you have found something you can hear with more ease @LOPILUGS. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am sure your experiences will be invaluable  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.