Energy bills — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy bills

Margare93222061
Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
edited January 2023 in Cost of living
Hi all
 I would like to know how  can you save on your energy bills when the price keeps going up for us all Margaret 
Tagged:

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Margare93222061 hope your well and Happy New year to you, i know it's getting silly isn't it, have you had your any fuel bills yet. I know a thread was made a while ago with ideas, think we could do with having the chat brought to our forefront again. Is your sister back yet x
  • Margare93222061
    Hi   Teddy 
     I think most people are struggling with the cost of living Sooty sits on my knee a lot
     We all have to learn  to get by with the situation as it is.   Take care. Teddy
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Margare93222061 How are you keeping today? I'm sorry you're feeling the bite of rising energy bills, it's an awful lot of money isn't it.

I'd really encourage you to get in touch with our free Disability Energy Support service. The team are very friendly and provide advice around reducing energy bills and the following:
    • managing energy and water debt
    • changing your meter
    • energy and water efficiency
    • accessing benefits, grants, and trusts
    • free fuel vouchers (conditions apply)
    • contacting or complaining to your supplier
    • understanding your gas and electricity bills
    • understanding how to use your heating systems
    Visit the Disability Energy Support service for more information, and here's the application link to sign up. 

There's also lots of information on Scope's 'Help with your energy bills' webpage, that could come in handy. Whilst this 'Warm welcome' website and Warm spaces website show spaces close by to get a warm and cup of tea.

How are you getting by? Please let us know, we don't want you sitting in a cold home  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Margare93222061
    Hi  Cher,
    Thank you for thinking about me.I can manage the bills I just do not like being rip off  like every body. else I am on the vulnerable register  so that helps  I have cp so I have to be careful not t get to cold take care Margaret 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I completely hear that you do not like being ripped off @Margare93222061. You don't deserve to be ripped off either. 

It sounds positive that being on the vulnerable register helps. Keep taking care of yourself, recognising you need to stay warm is a positive first step  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,487 Disability Gamechanger
    I can see where you're coming from @Margare93222061! It's felt a little bit warmer (but still chilly) where I am for the past few days- has it been like that where you are? 

If you'd like to help us with our campaigning work in this area, you might be interested in this opportunity:
    Hi there!

My name is Sophie and I work in the Scope Stories team. We are currently working on a campaign about the cost of living for disabled people. If you have disability-related costs that are higher than average, such as energy bills over £208 per month, we would be keen to hear from you.

If you're interested in participating, you can fill in this form, or email us at [email protected] with any questions or for more information.

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!

Sophie
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • daffodil22
    daffodil22 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

The exact dates for when people will get their Cost of Living Payments haven’t been released yet, but the government has shared their plan for when they’ll make the payments and how much they’ll be:  

• £301 – first Cost of Living Payment – during Spring 2023 
    • £150 – Disability Payment – during Summer 2023 
    • £300 – second Cost of Living Payment – during Autumn 2023 
    • £300 – Pensioner Payment – during Winter 2023/4 
    • £299 – third Cost of Living Payment – during Spring 2024. 
    • Simple things like making sure you unplug phone chargers, not leaving things on standby and using energy efficient light bulbs are the first steps. Remember, if you use more, you’ll pay more.You can also improve the energy efficiency of your home with double glazing and insulation.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Was watching Call the Midwives last night and for me who does not get emotional had me with tears running down my cheeks.
    It brought back memories of poverty and being cold from October to April every year growing up. People today moan about not receiving government financial help to pay for fuel etc.
    We had one coal fire that used to heat the water and do some of the cooking over. No gas supply/no electricity supply and no sewerage removal.
    We had three paraffin lamps that hung from the kitchen and living room ceilings. The third was used to go outside to the toilet, a stone shack a wooden board with a large bucket underneath.
    In the winter there was ice on the inside of the windows. Thankfully we moved in 1961 to a new house that had a bathroom along with gas and electricity.
    Oh how things have changed.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes @2oldcodgers i really don't know how my parents coped when we were young, but we survived and i dont know about you, but i for one appreciate every thing and don't take any thing for granted.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,633 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    I'm all for free markets, but there will be no relief until the energy companies are nationalized. A lot of our energy market is owned by the rest of the world. Heating is a fundamental human right.   
  • Welli
    Welli Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I everyone, I am not on the Scope Community chat often, well hardly :). However, I feel impelled to tell you about an amazing team called the 'Disability Energy Support Team' if you have not come across them before or have and have been a bit scared, dubious, concerned about contacting, please don't.

This team will endeavour to resolve the energy issues you have.   They were awesome and have helped wipe away some severe worries for me and I am sure they will do their best to do the same for you too.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Welll What a lovely comment! It's great to hear our Disability Energy Support Team have helped alleviate some of your worry. That's exactly what they are there for and we'd encourage anyone and everyone to get in touch with them too! :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.