What are we entitled to — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are we entitled to

Blackswan123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My husband & I both receive State pension and I am disabled and receive higher PIP. I also have a small teachers pension. Last month our bill for gas and electric was nearly £400.We now sit in blankets during the day and stay in bed as long as possible. I had a fall and have broken my ankle & lower leg bones. Having hospital appointments so appreciate sitting in the warm. It's a nightmare! Any help ...


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 4
    Have you applied for Council Tax Reduction from your local authority? You may be eligible depending on the amounts of your pensions. 

    Your possible entitlement would be increased if your husband applied for Carers Allowance for looking after you. He would not be paid anything but a claim would establish an underlying entitlement which means a carer premium would be included in the calculation. There may still be no entitlement. Any savings over £10,000 would reduce entitlement. There’s no point in claiming CA without first working out if it makes a difference.

    I infer that your husband does not receive a disability benefit.

    Do you own or rent your home? Does anybody else live with you?

    You can use a benefits calculator to check your entitlement.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 5
    Hello @Blackswan123 and welcome to our online community, how are you today? I hope you and your husband are as well as can be.

    I'm sorry you are in these circumstances. Energy bills are so costly and disabled people are bearing the brunt of it significantly. 

    In addition to the benefits advice given, I wanted to point you in the direction of Scope's free Disability Energy Support service. The lovely team can give you advice about lots of things energy-wise, including:

    • managing energy and water debt
    • changing your meter
    • energy and water efficiency
    • accessing benefits, grants, and trusts
    • free fuel vouchers (conditions apply)
    • contacting or complaining to your supplier
    • understanding your gas and electricity bills
    • understanding how to use your heating systems
    Visit the Disability Energy Support service for more information, and here's the application link to express interest.

    There's also lots of information on Scope's 'Help with your energy bills' webpage, that could come in handy. Whilst this 'Warm welcome' website and Warm spaces website show spaces close by to get a warm and cup of tea.

    Take care and please keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.