Hello I’m Steve — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello I’m Steve

Options
steve67
steve67 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
Wondering if I’m allowed on this site after suffering from a stroke any help would be appreciated thank thanks 

Comments

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,620 Pioneering
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Of course you are allowed on the site 
    Welcome Steve67 
    Please tell us about yourself if you like..... 
  • steve67
    Options
    hello I suffered from a stroke back in September 2022 and I’m not the same anymore I used to work full time but now I can’t work at the moment and I’m unsure if I will be able to work again I used to work in the construction industry as hands on and I don’t have any qualifications and I don’t have any experience in any other fields my stroke has caused me to have difficulty with walking in a straight line and I get shaky after a short walk and now I sometimes muddle my words and even sometimes say the wrong words for something completely different and I get upset sometimes too 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @steve67 welcome to the forum sorry to read about your stroke. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Steve and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions you might like to start in the coffee lounge for light discussion or recent discussions for tye most recent topics 

It is important to fully recover before considering if you can return to work your well being is the priority 

Look forward to seeing you around 
  • steve67
    Options
    thank you for your kind reply 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    You are welcome @steve67. It is the very least you deserve.

In addition to what @janer1967 said about making sure your health is in check first because you are your main priority, I would also encourage you to reflect on your strengths and interests. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you. This sounds like a difficult time for you but you don't have to face it alone if you don't want to.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • steve67
    Options
    hello yes it is hard some days trying to deal with thing’s 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    steve67 said:
    hello yes it is hard some days trying to deal with thing’s 
    I'm sorry to hear that Steve is there anything we can help you with? 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,883 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    nice to meet you @steve67, sorry to hear about your stroke, take care of yourself and try to heal up as much as possible, this is a great place, lots of good folks on here
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @steve67

I'm so sorry to hear about your stroke. Can I ask do you have good support around you? We are always here and will help in anyway we can :)

I had a similar experience, of my health getting in the way of work and it's a hard transition from working full time to recovery. I've read many users here go through the same too, so feel free to vent. We get it <3

How did you come across us here in the community? We have a section called Coffee Lounge which is where we play games, talk about our interests, debate current world views...etc. I'd love to see you join in when you're ready :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • steve67
    Options
    I will when I’m feeling up to it lots going on with money worries after the situation I’m in many thanks 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @steve67 welcome to our great group,
    It's still early days after your stroke.
    Are you self employed, as your in the building trade. 
  • steve67
    Options
    Yes I’m self employed sue well I mean I was as I’m not working now unfortunately 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @steve67, nice to meet you.

Of course anyone is allowed on this website. I am sorry to hear about your stroke.

I hope you take your time to have a look round this website and that you find it friendly and supportive.
  • steve67
    Options
    I’m slowly navigating this site I’m still not sure what I’m doing though.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know the feeling, when I go on a new website everything seems like a jumble and doesn't seem ordered. All I can say is it should hopefully start to make some sense after you spend a while on the site. :)
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I'm the worlds worse with tech stuff @steve67, i'm still finding things on the site i never new about ha ha.
    Have you managed to get any help with finances, as you've said your self employed and i know it can be difficult when you can't work. 
  • steve67
    Options
    I’m getting universal credit but it’s not covering everything likes of car and things 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Morning @steve67 at least you can get that. What about PIP have you thought about trying for that one ? 
  • steve67
    Options
    hello sueheath strange how you mention pip my partner has just asked about it do you have any idea how it works many thanks 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.