If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you cope with brain fog (long term)?

Options
Coping
Coping Community member Posts: 5 Listener
For a number of years, I have been suffering from brain fog (or problems concentrating). It manifests itself in different ways and situations for me. However, I find it especially difficult when I have been trying to concentrate on a task for a (short) while and my brain starts to "overheat": I can't focus anymore and I experience distress and anxiety (it can be pretty overwhelming at times). When I am in that state, I really struggle to relax or wind down, as it would require too much energy or focus for me to read, listen to music or a programme on TV, draw, chat with family or friends, etc. (Exercising or going for a walk are not convenient or straightforward coping strategies for me as I am in a wheelchair and experience substantial levels of pain.)
I usually try to calm down by practicing mindfulness (breathing and grounding exercises), but it is often not enough or feasible when I feel so tired, distressed and anxious.

If this relates to you in any way, I would be deeply grateful if you could give me your feedback on the following questions:
- Have you experienced something similar? If so, how do you cope?
- More generally, how does brain fog feel like for you? And how do you manage it?
- Are you aware of any research, resources or support that you could point me (and others in a similar situation) to?
Thank you very much for your feedback and advice.

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Coping

I get the same sometimes, but mine more relates to fatigue from having IBD. I know brain fog can be caused by a number of things, do you know what triggers it for you?

I saw you mentioned mindfulness which is something I use, I find it difficult to do from memory and so I now use the Headspace app, if this is one you haven't tried yet, I highly recommend it. 

I wonder if a simpler form of winding down may suit you? When I get brain fog, it's almost like every thought comes in as one word from a sentence that I cannot complete. Its frustrating and I end up getting stressed. When I listen to music, watch tv or even chat or draw myself, I find they have elements of imagination to them. It's easier for my thoughts to trail off and then I end up in brain fog. So I use puzzle books, sudoku is my go to, or I'll play puzzle games on my phone. I find that is a great way to wind down with as the focus is to solve one "element".
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Coping
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hannah_Scope said:
    Hello @Coping

I get the same sometimes, but mine more relates to fatigue from having IBD. I know brain fog can be caused by a number of things, do you know what triggers it for you?

I saw you mentioned mindfulness which is something I use, I find it difficult to do from memory and so I now use the Headspace app, if this is one you haven't tried yet, I highly recommend it. 

I wonder if a simpler form of winding down may suit you? When I get brain fog, it's almost like every thought comes in as one word from a sentence that I cannot complete. Its frustrating and I end up getting stressed. When I listen to music, watch tv or even chat or draw myself, I find they have elements of imagination to them. It's easier for my thoughts to trail off and then I end up in brain fog. So I use puzzle books, sudoku is my go to, or I'll play puzzle games on my phone. I find that is a great way to wind down with as the focus is to solve one "element".
    Hello @Hannah_Scope
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for your insightful suggestions. I am sorry, though, to hear that you also suffer from brain fog.

Thanks for suggesting I use Headspace. I will look into it. So far I have been relying on Smiling Mind, which I really like. As you say, it definitely helps to be guided by someone else's voice rather than trying to meditate on your own.

I also really like your strategy for winding down which consists in engaging in activities that focus on solving one element at a time - a great grounding technique. Letting our attention scatter in all directions and thoughts get compounded or entangled in one another is a sure way of heightening stress and anxiety.

In my case, brain fog occurs almost systematically within minutes of my engaging in any cognitive activity. I guess it is part and parcel of my condition (which is not well understood), which incidentally affects my digestive system as well as having a neurological component, among other things. That's why I am somewhat in the dark, trying to figure things out and manage my symptoms the best I can.

Thanks again for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey @Coping. Yes, this is something I have experienced – mainly due to fibro brain fog but can also be a result of feeling overwhelmed with autism.

I cope by writing endless to-do lists and using the Pomodoro/tomato technique (timer). I shorten the amount of focus time when I am particularly struggling.

I also make sure I do my highly focused tasks when I am feeling most focused in the day. Similarly, I also make sure only 1-3 tasks are in sight at a time, not the whole list.

Brain fog feels frustrating – either trying to remember something that I usually recall easily but it is not available to recall or just like there are words but nothing going in.

Based on the things I have mentioned, some resources I use include:

·       Todoist

·       Focus To-Do

·       Emails – I email myself notes I need to remember at a later date

I hope this at least semi-helps. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything else we can do to support you or if you would like to talk about this further  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Coping

I have not heard of Smiling Mind before, will definitely check that out! :) 

I hope that more understanding of your condition comes to light soon. When I was learning about IBD, my nurse was able to put me on to a few research journals which were very interesting and helped me. 

I hope you are having a good day :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Coping
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and for your suggestions. I had not heard of the Pomodoro/tomato technique. I will have to look into it. It sounds definitely better than my simple to-do list which I jot down in my online calendar. As I don't set myself time limits for each activity, I quickly get overwhelmed even when I do the most demanding tasks in the morning when I am more productive.
    Would you by any chance be aware of any conversation thread on the Scope platform or a discussion group elsewhere on the topic of brain fog?
    Thanks again for your feedback.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There seem to be quite a few discussions on brain fog @Coping, more than I had initially anticipated! If you type "brain fog" into the search bar on Scope's forum, there are quite a handful, these include:

If you want to find discussion groups elsewhere on Google, a few things seem to come up if you search "brain fog discussion group". 

I hope this is at least semi-helpful! To-do lists are helpful but, as you said, sometimes we just need some extra tools - especially when things feel overwhelming.

If I can do anything else to support you please don't hesitate to let me know. I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the Pomodoro/tomato technique  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Coping
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer
    Thank you very much for pointing me to those conversation threads on Scope and suggesting key words for a Google search. I will look into all this.
    I have not yet started using the Pomodoro/tomato technique. It had slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder. 😊
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.