What do you think about this new navigation aid? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you think about this new navigation aid?

Options
Stud_Eng
Stud_Eng Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all, I'm new here. I'm a Biomedical Engineering student at the University of Bradford. I'm working with a team to make this cool new head-worn device to help people with sight loss. It helps to be more aware of surroundings by alerting the wearer of nearby obstacles.

I just wanted to know your thoughts, any comments or what you would potentially like/dislike about this?

I have added more detail in the reply below this.

I am happy to provide more details or/and specific questions to help get your feedback

Thanks

Comments

• Stud_Eng
    Options
    Imagine: As you are walking indoors/outdoors, there may be obstacles around you such as lampposts, cars when crossing roads or any other hazardous object.

The headband detects these kinds of objects and makes a noise or vibration to indicate the potential hazard. As it is worn on the head, it will be able to detect objects near the head and body (about 2m away).

The aim is to give people the independence and confidence to travel safely.

Please give some feedback (all thoughts and comments welcome:

Would you find this interesting? Is this a good idea? Would you find it useful or buy it? What features would you want it to have? Or what would you want it to do?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I am visually impaired this maybe useful for some people but for myself it still wouldn't tell me where the hazard was eg hoe far away left or right what height etc 
  • Stud_Eng
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

I am visually impaired this maybe useful for some people but for myself it still wouldn't tell me where the hazard was eg hoe far away left or right what height etc

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it and I'm sure it will help us improve.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Not my  area, sorry. (Think I half remember something slightly similar in a  t.v. series where something was built into a man's cap, so he could be aware of traffic behind him despite deafness)

But if there is such a thing as a biomedical engineering student, it would be great if they could be contacted by people who need things invented.

Maybe someone you know could solve the Great Hearing Aid Disaster? 
    Somewhere there are figures showing the majority of hearing aids live in drawers. These are seriously expensive bits of kit, carefully made by experts to correct hearing and transform lives. So why are people not using them?

Reasons could include the manufacturers' determination to have something shoved into ears, behind ears, over ears. People tend to have hair, spectacles, scarves, hats and, now masks, all competing to hurl this delicate kit onto the ground to await crushing or be lost forever, and NHS will replace once only.  Kept in a drawer, brought out only in extreme need, at least the things will be safe. 

The 'shoved into the ear' aspect is even a problem if sitting motionless on the sofa. If you have ever had painful ear wax, you will not want to risk it. (The things can be pretty uncomfortable anyway. Would you walk around with a couple of corks in your nostrils? If not, why a couple of things jammed into your ears?)

A set of headphones would seem better. What about  adapting those really large, soft, comfortable, cushioned ones sold for noise cancelling?  Could they receive and adjust sound in the same way the hearing aids do, then send it into the dome, to get into the ears at the right volume? 

Might they have the advantage of maybe also having a manual control box which could hang round the neck or be in a pocket, so birdsong could be turned up, but buskers down? (Audiologists can set aids to the person's lifestyle, or some hearing aids do have controls, so people can select the best way to hear conversations but not be blasted with traffic noise.)

If the idea does work, perhaps it could even give superior performance to the tiny conventional aids.
    And perhaps it could appeal to those, young or old, who would prefer to be seen by others being busy apparently, just like other people,  listening to something on headphones.

• Stud_Eng
    Options
    newborn said:
    Not my area, sorry. (Think I half remember something slightly similar in a t.v. series where something was built into a man's cap, so he could be aware of traffic behind him despite deafness)

But if there is such a thing as a biomedical engineering student, it would be great if they could be contacted by people who need things invented.

Maybe someone you know could solve the Great Hearing Aid Disaster? 
    Somewhere there are figures showing the majority of hearing aids live in drawers. These are seriously expensive bits of kit, carefully made by experts to correct hearing and transform lives. So why are people not using them?

Reasons could include the manufacturers' determination to have something shoved into ears, behind ears, over ears. People tend to have hair, spectacles, scarves, hats and, now masks, all competing to hurl this delicate kit onto the ground to await crushing or be lost forever, and NHS will replace once only. Kept in a drawer, brought out only in extreme need, at least the things will be safe. 

The 'shoved into the ear' aspect is even a problem if sitting motionless on the sofa. If you have ever had painful ear wax, you will not want to risk it. (The things can be pretty uncomfortable anyway. Would you walk around with a couple of corks in your nostrils? If not, why a couple of things jammed into your ears?)

A set of headphones would seem better. What about adapting those really large, soft, comfortable, cushioned ones sold for noise cancelling? Could they receive and adjust sound in the same way the hearing aids do, then send it into the dome, to get into the ears at the right volume? 

Might they have the advantage of maybe also having a manual control box which could hang round the neck or be in a pocket, so birdsong could be turned up, but buskers down? (Audiologists can set aids to the person's lifestyle, or some hearing aids do have controls, so people can select the best way to hear conversations but not be blasted with traffic noise.)

If the idea does work, perhaps it could even give superior performance to the tiny conventional aids.
    And perhaps it could appeal to those, young or old, who would prefer to be seen by others being busy apparently, just like other people, listening to something on headphones.

:) Thank you so much for that effort! I really see your passion there and have understood your point on the practicalities: comfort, ease of use, discreet.
    I appreciate your time and comments
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you. But do you have anyone in your department (studen or tutor) who could take a look at the idea?
  • Stud_Eng
    Options
    newborn said:
    Thank you. But do you have anyone in your department (studen or tutor) who could take a look at the idea?

Sure! It will help us even for the product we are designing. One of my tutors is quite interested and has worked in audiology and hearing assisting devices. I can pass your ideas on to him.

Also, it would be nice to get some more of your thoughts and ideas. Just keep a look out here for any more posts/questions as I'm sure you'll have an opinion on it :smiley:
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 989 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Stud_Eng :) Welcome to the community! 

Am I right in thinking that you've posted this to get informal feedback on the project? Or are you planning on using responses from our members in a different, more formal way? 
  • Stud_Eng
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yes this is just feedback for the project. It helps us to understand the needs and perspectives of potential users, as well as ways to improve it.

All feedback is annoymous. I'm not going to advertise anything here and I hope I'm not breaking any rules.
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 989 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thank you for explaining that @Stud_Eng :) That's all fine, I just wanted to check, as we have a form for people to fill out if they're planning on using responses in certain ways.
  • Stud_Eng
    Options
    Thanks @Community_Scope. Would it be possible to do a larger research study if there is an opportunity to reach more people?
    For example, if a survey is created, would you be able to provide it to those interested/wanting to give their opinion (of course, on condition that the participants are aware of how it will be used and give consent)?

If many people take part, the survey responses can be useful by providing primary evidence of what people think.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You might be able to post a survey in our research and opportunities category in the future @Stud_Eng :) We'd just ask that you get in touch with us beforehand, so that we can send you the form to complete. This helps us determine whether the opportunity is appropriate and safe for the community. You can get in touch with us by emailing community@scope.org.uk, or privately messaging community_scope
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.