Anyone else with Spinal Stenosis use mobility aids? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone else with Spinal Stenosis use mobility aids?

Options
CountryMimi
CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 153 Pioneering
I'm just wondering if anyone else with Spinal Stenosis uses mobility aids? I'm currently using crutches (have been doing since June 2022) - originally for slipped disc / sciatica. Since surgery for discectomy and laminectomy I haven't recovered and in chronic pain, so have continued with the crutches as I feel that they just support me more.

Physiotherapist wants to wean me off them, but I'm just in constant agony with my back and I'm absolutely petrified of falling (which doctors suspect was a contribution to the slipped disc and spinal stenosis).

I'm only 32 and of course my illness has massively changed my life around, I've gone from lifting babies, toddlers and preschoolers, working 40 hours a week in a nursery to not being able to do that at all. Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts on getting a wheelchair or mobility scooter are? I use the mart carts when in the supermarket and if I'm going somewhere where there's mobility scooter hire, because alongside the chronic back pain, I also get a lot of what I can only explain as being fire work / fizzing / shooting pain down my legs.

My mum isn't keen on me getting a wheelchair - but my thinking is that if I got something like a wheelchair or a mobility scooter, I'd have more independence in terms of being able to do more - my friends enjoy going out to places where there's a lot of walking and I can't do that now. I'd just like to have the option of being able to do more for myself.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Not spinal stenosis, but if you are in pain, why not try something different? You could just try out a rented or borrowed set of wheels, then figure out how you get on, and how you can afford, say, something second hand, to get out with your friends again.

The physio of course wants you to exercise, but when you are in less pain, you might be encouraged to do exercises at home, near to a table or something to steady yourself.   Being in pain is not good. Taking pain killers is bad too . Pay respect to your back and to your pain. The message is to stop doing what hurts, so stop. Later, you can gradually start again, but be willing to obey your body if it gives instructions. 

But pad your chair, sitting on a blow up ring under the cushion, and with good padding for the chair back, too. And, be cautious about going over anything bumpy. In the shops, the floors are smooth, but when you are out of there, you will get jolted and your spine will rightly be annoyed.

Oh, also, try if possible not to stay in a sitting position if you can either stand, or lie, or lean or perch. Some spines like to be kept as straight as possible. So, for some back pain, perching on the edge of a table, a window ledge, the arm of a chair may please your spine better than sitting in a conventional position when waiting around, reading, using the laptop, watching TV, chatting over a coffee,  or whatever. Try lying on a sofa, not sitting on it.  And, if you are half reclined on the sofa, consider using cushions to prop the weight of your head. Heads are heavy. 

With the pain eased, and your fears eased, it might be possible to get back to children at least to an extent, part time or volunteering, if you do manage to get around on wheels. People do.  It is a pity to waste all your experience. And it's good for your colleagues, employers and the children to see models of diversity, of equality, and of equality law.

• CountryMimi
    Options
    That's the plan, going to try a self propelled wheel chair next time I go to the supermarket, just to see how I get on with it and see how it feels etc.

Yeah, I think ultimately I just need to do what feels right for me. Like you say, physio want to get me moving, and whilst they're extremely knowledgable in their field and expertise, they of course don't know exactly what we experience.

Thanks re nursery, I did enquire about me taking on a different role, but they couldn't make the adjustment and I know at least at this moment in time I wouldn't be able to cope, but who knows what the future will hold 😊
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A manual chair is hard to use unless you have good upper body strength 

They are ok on flat surfaces but as soon as you come to an incline or uneven surface they are very hard to self propel and kerbs impossible 

Scooters are better but they are bigger can't get in all places need charging and storing bur much better for distance 
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Thank you, its a tough one as I definitely think I would be better with a mobility scooter, but for one thing, I'm currently staying at my mum's quite a bit for support and to access her house, there's some steps to get up and I definitely couldn't carry it for charging etc. Also, would struggle to fit one in my car boot as when I was a nanny, I struggle to fit anything but a small buggy in.

But then the problem is also that my mum lives in a very hilly town, so like you say, it would be difficult to self propel.

I think I'll have to go to a mobility shop and see what advice they can give me
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can get folding electric chairs which maybe more suitable just the size of a wheelchair that fold and fit into car but they are bit heavy especially to get up steps to get inside to charge 

You can get ones where you can remove battery for charging 

You can also get battery packs for manual chairs but agree go to a mobility shop to see all on offer 
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    There seem to be plenty of options, but haven't yet come across anything that would be suitable just yet - folding electric wheelchair sounds good in terms of fitting into car, but my problem is I wouldn't be able to lift it 😔

There's a few mobility places around here, so I'll take a trip to them and see what they can come up with
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,648 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I bought myself a mobility scooter a few years ago and thought it was great to start with. It was one of those boot ones but it was just so heavy. Taking it apart was so difficult and i could never lift the seat from the scooter. How they expected someone with physical disabilities to lift that was beyond a joke.

Going to a mobility shop is a good idea but i don't think it can replace having a trial of something for yourself. What suits one person may not suit another. Maybe hire something for a couple of weeks to see how you get on.

I've never tried a self propel wheel chair because i know i don't have the strength in my arms to push myself so that's out of the question. Having to rely on my daughter just isn't an option for me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    That is such a shame, have you managed to find a replacement that is more suited to you?

Yeah, it's possible a mobility shop will know of places where you can hire or trial I suppose too.

A family friend recommended one of the fold up mobility Scooters that compact down into a suitcase style, but they look to cost a lot!

Don't know if anyone else has come across these or whether they actually exist (so maybe didn't see it correctly) , but when I was at the supermarket the other day, I saw a lady and it looked like an ordinary self propelling wheelchair, but also seemed to have a motor too. I thought that looked as though it would be a good option.

That's the same with me @poppy123456, I can't rely on my Mum as we live in different towns and like I say, I am having to stay with her a fair bit at the minute for support, but in the long term I want that independence and I don't have any friends or family in my immediate area, my friends all live in the next town over and I only have my cousin and his wife in the next town over, but he's in a wheelchair himself and obviously they have their own lives to live, so couldn't rely on them anyway
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Yaaaay 😁
    I've finally found a chair that is light enough to put in my car, small enough to fit in my car and suits my budget. It's on order and should be really to collect from the shop on Friday! 

The decision came that something needed to change after I hobbled around Tesco in absolutely agony last week.

Originally looked at a mobility scooter, but it wasn't going to be a suitable option incase I had to deal with it on my own. Started looking at wheelchairs and this one kept popping up all over online. Went back to the first mobility shop I went in at the weekend (typical eh?!) and gave this one a try. 

Any other self propelling wheelchair users? After trying them for a while the other day I started to feel blisters on my fingers. Will my fingers get used to this? 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,431 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there that's  a nice looking chair, how are you getting on with it and are your fingers still sore, I think you can buy gloves. 
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Thank you! Looks brilliant doesn't it! The guy who advised me had great knowledge - it wasn't even the most expensive item, but he said that it's pretty much a cut above the rest and it's their most popular sell.

In a lot of pain, but nothing unusual. As well as my back, I get what I like to call fizzy pain / firework pain in my legs which seemed to go off for a few weeks, but I think it's coming back with a vengeance! How are you?

Thankfully the blister disappeared pretty quickly. It will be a good work out for my arms, couldn't half feel it! Even right up until this morning haha! It took me back to my days of dance college and the first few days back after the holidays!

Yeah, I have thought about gloves. I'm hoping that my hands and fingers will steadily get used to it. Was always prone to getting blisters when I played on the monkey bars as a kiddo 😂😂😂
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Those were the days eh, I still go on  the swing when I take grandkids to the park, be rude not to, too fat 4 the slide tho lol. 

I suffer with my spine and its really no joke is it. I don't use aids altho on flare up a chair might be useful.I just plod along.

Do you find the chair gives you more independence 
  • CountryMimi
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I know hahaha! I used work as a nanny, so would take the kiddos to the park. Or one family I worked for, the kids had a swing set in the garden and we'd go and play on it for hours! I was also definitely the nanny who joined them on the soft play equipment haha!

Bless you, it isn't at all! Is your pain constant or is it more intermittent?

I haven't got it yet, but I've tried a mobility scooter whenever I've gone to the supermarket or occasionally to the shopping centre and it's been so freeing! I'm still in pain by the end of it as my pain is constant, but it gives me some independence, otherwise I just wouldn't be able to do it. I made the mistake of not using the cart mart at the shops the other day and ended up crying in pain

I went to a mobility shop the other week and mentioned we were looking for either a scooter or a chair and he really put me off getting a chair, said he found it near on impossible, but went to a branch of careco and tried a few of their chairs out and genuinely felt it was easy to pick up. Never tried one before that, but managed to work out how to manouvsr it, turning and everything. Sort of makes me wonder if he just said that to try and encourage me to buy mobility scooter at a heftier price. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Sounds like it doesn't it. 
    My pain is there every day and it reminds me every time I try to do something. I find I have to space myself, so I do a bit then stop  rest it on the bed then start again. Except on a flair up then I can't do anything, can just manage to get to the loo. But everything else is out the window and last up to 4 weeks. I find hot water bottles on the effected area work well for me. As well as pain relief. Inflammation meds too. But I try keep it moving as I'm told not to rest it too much.
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Oh bless you, it's so debilitating isn't it 😔 was yours sort of a natural progression or did you have an accident - please don't feel obligated to answer, just curious

I'm glad you find some things help 🥰 I'm really scared of putting anything on mine - 9 months or so down the line post op, but I still worry about my scar as it's still quite tender on occasions
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I'm not sure I presume natural but I was in a car accident 33 years ago so it could be from that I think it's just ware n tear 

Hope your scar heals soon
  • CountryMimi
    Options
    Oh I'm so sorry 😔 that must have been awful!

Thank you
    0898 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    I have the same issue with my spine and it's so hard to carry on with the little things like going to the loo most people think if you are bleeding you have a problem if you look normal your meant to be fine "just get on with it " I've stopped going out and tend to do most things online but it's not a solution really 
    I have a walker but my doorways are too narrow so I've got chairs all around the flat for when it gets too much also the burning etc you mentioned is the worst pain I've experienced it's actually hot to touch as well 
    Take care 
  • MarieBarl
    MarieBarl Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    Ask your physio to look at chair exercises. There are so many regimen aimed at recovering more quickly post replacement or repair ops, there may be something that could help you that was designed for something else.

I was doing some just aimed at activity whilst in lockdown, but they really helped me feel more myself.

I also had a set adapted for me in hospital which were helping reduce my pain and swelling until another event got in my way. I don't have the same conditions as you, but I was quite used to pain with most things. It was just how my life was. I dont think exercises are any more one size fits all than painkillers or support garments are, but they really helped me cope.

I hope the chair brings you the independence you desire and merit.

• petur64
    petur64 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    Hi,@CountryMimi, i have severe lumbar stenosis and L5S1 damage need total knee replacement and bad hips, im only 58.
      i chose a selfpropelled wheelchair so to keep and train my upperbody at the same time, i was very reluctant at first, call it 'imposter syndrome' if you like, but i dont care what others think! I can get about with a lot more easy now, i fit it in the boot of the car and i can go out!
    I didnt choose a mobility scooter for that reason( was offered through my PIP on the mobility scheme) ive registered the car as disabled. So now i can go out and i use it only outdoors.
    You can get special cushions with the back cut out to help your spine, got mine on Am zon for £20. Got wheelchair gloves(or bike gloves) on Vinted, for longer journeys in the chair!
    Since then i have noticed that no-one judges me on my disabilities. (My daugher scouted her wedding venue for gravel carparks so i wouldnt get stuck!) At the wedding i was glad i had a chair but also able to do some walking on even floors. This has been my experience so far with my operation waiting times.
    I see you found a wheelchair! Goodluck! And keep trying to make your own life easier!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.