Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Am I entitled to Severe Disability Premium?

Options
Wandering1993
Wandering1993 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi! I am a bit confused - I am on both ESA (income-related; support group) & on PIP daily living component (standard rate). I also receive Housing Benefit. I've read recently about severe disability premium and it seems I am entitled to it according to the GOV website but I do not receive a payment for SDP directly to me. Does the severe disability premium get added to housing benefit as I see something on my housing benefit referring to severe disability premium but not sure what it means. 

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,336 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SDP is paid with your ESA if you live alone or classed as living alone, if you live with other adults they must also be claiming a qualifying disability benefit. No one must also be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. Just to clarify, the SDP accounted for when calculating housing benefit is separate from the SDP which will be added to ESA? I found the information on the GOV website very confusing. I live on my own and no one is claiming carers allowance for me and I am not for anyone else. 

Thanks for your time. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's included in the calculation, you don't actually receive it like you do with ESA. Is it included with your ESA amount?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The SDP is included in the HB but calculation but the amount of HB you get will not change because you get maximum HB anyway simply due to being on income based ESA.

How much ESA do you get?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    Thanks again @poppy123456 and @calcotti

In response to both of your messages, I'm not sure if it is included in my ESA but I don't think so. I get a payment of £270.70 every two weeks. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    . I get a payment of £270.70 every two weeks. 

That doesn't have the SDP included. You need to ring ESA to ask to fill out the IS10 form to claim the SDP. It can be backdated to when you became entitled to it. It's £69.40/week (from April 2022, less in previous years)
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456, I will give them a call. You've been really helpful. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to check - nobody claims Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    @calcotti yes, that is correct nobody claims carer's allowance/ carer element of UC for looking after me
  • Wandering1993
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It can be paid from when you became entitled to it. Whether you were entitled to it before 2018 will depend on your circumstances during that time.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    My circumstances haven't changed but I guess I'll have to wait until the final decision has been made and query it then. Thanks. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you feeling about things at the moment @Wandering1993? You have done so well reaching out for support here  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    Hi all, a little update I have received a letter saying there has been a change made to my ESA rate and it now includes SDP however it doesn't say anything about back pay. Should I expect a different letter or should I ring them? 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all, a little update I have received a letter saying there has been a change made to my ESA rate and it now includes SDP however it doesn't say anything about back pay. Should I expect a different letter or should I ring them? 
    I would phone them and ask. Usually a payment is made before a letter reaches you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to ring ESA to ask because they are the only ones that can tell you what’s happening.
  • Wandering1993
    Options
    Ah ok. I wasn't sure if a decision letter often came before the letter about backdated payments as I didn't want to wait in a long queue to talk to them if I didn't have to. 

Thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Usually any money owed is received in your bank before the decision letter.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.