Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Direct payments and carers allowance

Options
Summerx
Summerx Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi. I received enhanced PIP for both and receive direct payments from my local authority and have 2 hours of care a day. When my carer isn't here my son helps me a lot. Would he be able to claim carers allowance even though I get direct payments? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Direct payments have nothing to do with carers allowance or any other benefits. Whether your son can claim carers allowance for looking after you will depend on his circumstances. If he works and earns more than £132/week after deductions then he won't be entitled. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Does he claim any other benefits himself, if so which ones?
    Is he a full time student?
    Does he live with you or do you live alone?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Summerx
    Summerx Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. He isn't working right now but isn't claiming any benefits and he lives with me. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Summerx said:
    Thank you for your reply. He isn't working right now but isn't claiming any benefits and he lives with me. 
    The other question poppy asked is - Is he a full time student?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless he's a full time student he can claim Universal Credit, providing he doesn't have savings/capital of more than £16,000. This will include standard element for either under or over 25 depending on his age and carers element but he'll need to make sure he reports being your carer.

If he claims Carers allowance as well as UC then the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. However, if he was caring for you for at least 35 hours per week in the past 3 months then carers allowance can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months, so it would be worth claiming and backdating it. Providing he wasn't working and earning over the maximum amount for that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.