Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Retirement... What next

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,695 Pioneering
I have been retired for 2 years now but have no idea at all as to how I intend to spend the next 40 years of my life (assuming that I make a century)
I am disabled - unable to walk more than a few feet
The reason that I retired early (at age 58) was that my emploter was unwilling to update to disabled toilets and also wiuld not let ATW on site to advise me - plus covid scared me !
We do have "sufficient funds" to see us to the end
But my big question is how many retired people - actually planned how they intended to spend their retired days - before they retired ?
I DON'T HAVE A PLAN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE !

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why not do some volunteering or travelling.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had to stop work at the age of 38 for health reasons, that will be 26 years in a few months, when able I try to find something to do each day, when I'm unable I don't worry about it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My grandparents were able to retire early and decided to spend their time travelling, picking up hobbies they always wanted to do, just made a huge list and did what they could. My grandmother took up Spanish and that has evolved into a weekly Spanish scrabble game!

Sometimes you can plan something and it can turn into something else completely :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sookiegirl
    sookiegirl Community member Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    I retired early. I’ve taught myself to sew via YouTube videos.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
    Options
    I had to retire at 58 as it just took too much out of me. Volunteering has always been part of my life and since retiring I have done volunteer roles hands on and also as trustee of a charity. When covid hit these roles stopped except trustee role. Unfortunitly as I had been out of work for a couple of years by then computers had moved on and I was lost in this world and no idea how to use zoom for meeting so resigned.

I am just like you can walk a couple of steps unaided but use powerchair the rest of the time. Now as covid has slowed I find motivating myself very difficult. Yes I can go back to volunteering but feel as I knkw I have loads to offer but feel like I have done that and got the t-shirt. Still wondering what fo do to get me motivated.
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Why not do some volunteering or travelling.
    Volunteering for what and how do I get to the place?
    Also lacking motivation 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What things interest you @Wibbles, or is there anything you've always wondered about giving a try? 

@sookiegirl that's great, there's plenty of things you can learn to do using something like YouTube :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    What things interest you @Wibbles, or is there anything you've always wondered about giving a try? 

@sookiegirl that's great, there's plenty of things you can learn to do using something like YouTube :) 
    I have done most of my bucket list already and am limited to what I can do from those that I haven't done yet... 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,725 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I think you can probably half that remaining life expectancy.  So there's ~20 years filled for a start!  :D

I don't think the problem here is retirement though.  It's limited ability in retirement.  I'm considerably younger than yourself and already have trouble filling days.  Not though lack of funds, but lack of ability.  I can't get out any more and I don't have enough space at home to do anything (single room studio flat).  Of course, that means I've got very little motivation, but have enough discipline to follow a daily routine.  I've spent the last 20 years terrified of having to continue living this life, knowing that things would only ever get worse, and never being able to consider any more than a week or so into the future without utter despair.  I don't see that changing so can't even contemplate the idea of having to live anywhere near current life expectancy.

People seem to obsess over life or death, but for me it's quality of life that matters.  That will obviously mean different things to different people.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:

I have done most of my bucket list already and am limited to what I can do from those that I haven't done yet... 
    have you thought of making up a new bucket list, that is both doable and affordable ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    Options
    I think you can probably half that remaining life expectancy.  So there's ~20 years filled for a start!  :D

Speak for yourself - I plan to be around for a fairly long period - at least another 40 years
    My father is 90 and extremely fit and will make 100 +
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wibbles said:

Speak for yourself - I plan to be around for a fairly long period - at least another 40 years
    Sadly the life of our parents is not a guide to our own. I will almost certainly be dead long before I reach my dad’s age when he died (but then one never knows).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Wibbles motivation is the biggest clue here i find.
    Me and hubby had big plans for our retirement years, then covid hit - hubby had heart attack then was found to have low grade bladder cancer (fingers crossed) he didn't retire till he was 67 because he wanted to keep working but this last two years have aged him. My own body gave up on me and i have had to give up work now, i finished at 64. so all our plans went out the window. It's like Woodbine has said perhaps a new bucket list. There's other voluntry work you can do - age concern do a buddy scheme were you telephone people to have a chat so they don't get lonely.
    I think your board and motivation is a big issue, you might feel bit more positive when spring is here.x
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to play bass guitar in a couple of bands, well three anyway and after thirty years of not playing at all I decided to play again. Choosing a new bass was time consuming, ideal since I retired too. Then relearning is taking longer than I thought. However it’s given me a sense of purpose, my intention is to be better than I ever was and I’m still looking out for the perfect bass guitar of course, I have three now! My intention is to start or join a band, when I’m ready again. Fleetwood Mac style or sheryl crow, Bryan Adams, Travis, even Roxy music maybe, who knows what tomorrow might bring. 

you could play a guitar in a wheelchair, even join a band if you really like music. Keyboards are cheap too and would be a small challenge to learn to play. 

carving chess pieces would take quite a while too, something to go back to occasionally and can be done from a sitting position. I always wanted to learn to carve but I’ve never gotten around to it. 

Im even into meditation and read about Buddhism etc, very helpful psychologically I can assure you.

Motivation? As woodbine said I’m the same, if I don’t do much one day I don’t worry about it, I quite like surfing the Internet as well as fitting in a couple of hours practise a day. San ferry Anne, it’s all good. I like being retired immensely. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:

Anything really but volunteering for Scope is recommendable I volunteer in the charity shop as one of my placements with Project choice. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,060 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:

I think everyone "plans" on being around for a long time but in reality that may not be the case. It would be very strange if we could all predict what would or may happen.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I used to play bass guitar in a couple of bands, well three anyway and after thirty years of not playing at all I decided to play again. Choosing a new bass was time consuming, ideal since I retired too. Then relearning is taking longer than I thought. However it’s given me a sense of purpose, my intention is to be better than I ever was and I’m still looking out for the perfect bass guitar of course, I have three now! My intention is to start or join a band, when I’m ready again. Fleetwood Mac style or sheryl crow, Bryan Adams, Travis, even Roxy music maybe, who knows what tomorrow might bring. 

you could play a guitar in a wheelchair, even join a band if you really like music. Keyboards are cheap too and would be a small challenge to learn to play. 

carving chess pieces would take quite a while too, something to go back to occasionally and can be done from a sitting position. I always wanted to learn to carve but I’ve never gotten around to it. 

Im even into meditation and read about Buddhism etc, very helpful psychologically I can assure you.

Motivation? As woodbine said I’m the same, if I don’t do much one day I don’t worry about it, I quite like surfing the Internet as well as fitting in a couple of hours practise a day. San ferry Anne, it’s all good. I like being retired immensely. 
    I spend way too long on line - plus I create family trees for people using ancestry
    But that is unhealthy - spending so much time online (10+ hours per day 365 days a year)
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I tried volunteering, unfortunately, so many people also looking to volunteer locally, no places available! Also job clubs, but unfortunately, im in a catch 22 situation,age,early retirement due to ill health,heart and arthritis and awaiting knee replacement, but , i cant claim benefits, and most job clubs will only help if you are already claiming! 
    With the government now saying they want over 50s to return to the workplace, and keep benefits, I'm finding it hard to actually claim any benefits,and certainly not physically able to do,or apply for most jobs available, warehouse, etc, guessing most people on here in the same,or similar situation? 
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    gaz1960 said:
    I tried volunteering, unfortunately, so many people also looking to volunteer locally, no places available! Also job clubs, but unfortunately, im in a catch 22 situation,age,early retirement due to ill health,heart and arthritis and awaiting knee replacement, but , i cant claim benefits, and most job clubs will only help if you are already claiming! 

Same here - are you - me ?
    I had a knee replacement in 2016 which came too late - I am now immobile due to hyperextension
    I took medical retirement from government job after 30 years service at age 47 and got redundancy at same time - then carried on working part time for the local authority before taking medical retirement from that due to poor treatment by them.............
    now my heart is causing me problems as well as arthrytis
    luckily - I am on max PIP as well as 3 ill health pensions at age 59 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @SueHeath said
    age concern do a buddy scheme were you telephone people to have a chat so they don't get lonely.
    Silverline do the same thing, might be worth checking them out.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.