Hi, I'm aschem! Is it ok to go on a short holiday when receiving LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm aschem! Is it ok to go on a short holiday when receiving LCWRA?

Options
aschem
aschem Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I'm new here, thought i'd say hello. Recently classed as LCWRA, Claiming U/C and New Style ESA. Always been so active in life and now on crutches, with lumbar spinal degeneration, arthritis, Stenosis. Cervical spinal pain Peripheral Neuropathy in my legs, down to my feet. Asthma/COPD Overlap syndrome. Finding life challenging to adjust  

Comments

• aschem
    Options
    Can anyone confirm if it acceptable to go on a short holiday abroad, while being on Universal Credit (LCWRA) ? I have had 3 close friend bereavements in the last 4 months, along with my everyday health struggles to deal with and just feel I want to escape to get away from everything to recharge and have some quality time etc ? I have only been on U/C since September, so i'm new to this. Many thanks
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @aschem and a warm welcome to our online community, how's it going today?

I'm sorry you've lost three friends in such a short space of time, how are you coping with grieving? I completely understand you feeling like some time away would do you good, and as far as I can see, it's okay to go on holiday whilst in receipt of Universal Credit for up to a month. Taken from the government 'Claiming benefits it you live, move or travel abroad' webpage:

Universal Credit
    If you go abroad, you can continue to get Universal Credit for one month.
    You must:
    • remain eligible for it while you’re abroad
    • tell your work coach that you’re going
    I hope this is helpful however if you have any other questions, please let us know.

Also, I've moved your thread to our Universal Credit category and amended the title to help others with a similar question find it in the future :)

Best wishes and have a great weekend.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • aschem
    Options
    Thank you so very much for your reply, I will inform the U/C team of my intentions, as you can imagine, its been a very stressful few months, let alone with the bereavements, but also being on benefits... Normally i wouldn't have to worry, as i've been working :-(
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please be aware that if you're out of the country for longer than 1 month your UC will end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rules
    rules Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    aschem said:
    I'm new here, thought i'd say hello. Recently classed as LCWRA, Claiming U/C and New Style ESA. Always been so active in life and now on crutches, with lumbar spinal degeneration, arthritis, Stenosis. Cervical spinal pain Peripheral Neuropathy in my legs, down to my feet. Asthma/COPD Overlap syndrome. Finding life challenging to adjust  
    I think you are right. I feels imprisoned in my own body and mind because I have not been able to go even on a short break due to financial difficulties.
  • rules
    rules Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
     think you are right. I feel imprisoned in my own body and mind because I have not been able to go even on a short break due to financial difficulties.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry you've felt similarly @rules. Is there anything you're able to do to ease those feelings of being imprisoned without going away on a trip, such as by getting fresh air or doing a cheaper activity that you enjoy? I know it's not the same.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • aschem
    Options
    rules said:
    I  think you are right. I feel imprisoned in my own body and mind because I have not been able to go even on a short break due to financial difficulties.
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like that as well, it's not a nice feeling, can completely sympathise with you  :-( To be completely honest with myself, I doubt I would be able to cope health wise with going away etc. 
  • aschem
    Options
    Thank you for your reply....Its been challenging to say the least, with my health issues, reduced mobility and pain etc, I have not been able to get out and about for a long walk, like I would have done. Plus I no longer feel safe to drive, because of the nerve pain etc... of which has also affected my mood on top of grieving. I have the contact details of Cruse.org.uk so will give them a call  
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can hear how this has been challenging for you @aschem. How are you feeling about contacting Cruse at the moment?

Please feel free to let us know how contacting Cruse goes for you and if there's anything else we can do to support you.

We are all here for you, even if that's just listening to you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.