Advised to claim carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advised to claim carers allowance

Options
juju10
juju10 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Hello just need
some advice what happens to u/c when you claim carers allowance does that mean you lose the carers-element on u/c

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,751 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there I'm sorry this isn't my area of expertise but someone will answer your question soon.
  • juju10
    Options
    Ok many thanks 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,751 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    juju10 said:
    Ok many thanks 
    No problem sorry I can't answer your question I just don't want to end up giving you the wrong advice.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,852 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You won't lose the carers element. You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element. There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance as well as UC because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

You also need to be aware of the earnings limit of £132/week after deductions when claiming carers allowamce. There's no limit when claiming carers element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    You won't lose the carers element. You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element. There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance as well as UC because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

You also need to be aware of the earnings limit of £132/week after deductions when claiming carers allowamce. There's no limit when claiming carers element.
    Thank you @poppy123456 you saved the day again.
  • juju10
    Options
    Many thanks it’s just we have been advised to claim carers allowance for some reason an I don’t understand why to be honest?
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    juju10 said:
    Many thanks it’s just we have been advised to claim carers allowance for some reason an I don’t understand why to be honest?
    It's great that we have been able to help you today if you need anymore assistance please don't be afraid to speak up 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    juju10 said:

As i advised, there's no financial gain anyway because it's deducted in full. The only difference is for the CA you would receive class 1 NI credits but for UC you receive class 3.

CA can also be paid weekly but UC monthly so it can help you budget better.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • juju10
    Options
    Ok many thanks for your advice poppy😊
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    juju10 said:
    Before claiming I would seek clarification from whoever advised you as to why they are suggesting this. Poppy has highlighted the two issues.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • juju10
    Options
    Ok thank you we will do
  • calcotti
    edited January 2023
    Options
    juju10 said:
    Ok thank you we will do
    To be clear, I’m not suggesting you should not claim CA but I think it’s important that you are clear why it’s considered worth claiming and you can then make an informed decision. 

There are reasons why getting Class 1 NI credits through CA may be worthwhile. If you claim CA and later need to claim new style ESA it would be easier to do so because there is a relaxation of the qualifying rules re NI if you have been a recent CA recipient prior to claiming ESA. However this will make no difference to you if you expect to remain on UC until you reach pension age because any CA or ESA would be deducted from the UC. Of course if you are a long way off pension age things might change.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • juju10
    Options
    Ok many thanks 😊 will look into all of it like you said 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Just an added thought to this. If you live in Scotland then it would be worth your partner claiming carers allowance (providing they don't earn more than the maximum amount allowed) because you'll then be entitled to the carers allowance supplement, paid twice a year. https://www.mygov.scot/carers-allowance-supplement

• calcotti
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Poppy. Not sure that’s the link you meant to post.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Poppy. Not sure that’s the link you meant to post.
    Thanks, you’re right it wasn’t. Can’t edit my comment now as it’s too late. Correct link here https://www.mygov.scot/carers-allowance-supplement
    Its because I was trying to find some help for someone on another thread here. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've edited your original comment for you to avoid any confusion poppy123456 :) 

How are you getting on with looking into it @juju10? I hope you've been having a good weekend!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @Tori_Scope thank you, much appreciated! 
  • juju10
    Options
    We will look into this week but like previous comments I don’t see need to claim to be honest but thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.