If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Write of dwp overpayment

Options
Qasimo
Qasimo Community member Posts: 160 Courageous
Hello does anyone know where I can get dwp overpayment written off really important this for me so much tension and stressing out man...
No tagging allowed.. ask questions and wait for respond..

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DWP Debt Management 0800 916 0647

You won’t automatically get an overpayment ‘written off’, if you have been overpaid then you must repay it. Try phoning the above number to discuss your options.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,173 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is this related to when you were claiming UC because your partner had too much savings? If so then all UC overpayments are recoverable, even if it was on official error so it's very unlikely it can be written off.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Qasimo
    Options
    Ok but if I sign up universal credit again they can take money off from universal credit right??
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes but you will need to claim with your partner. If either of you have savings of more than £16,000 you won't be able to claim.

For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there's a £4.35/month deduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes but you will need to claim with your partner. If either of you have savings of more than £16,000 you won't be able to claim. 
    I know what poppy means but it's slightly ambiguously worded. For the avoidance of doubt - if your joint savings exceed £16,000 you cannot claim UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Qasimo
    Options
    Thanks everyone she phone them they said don't worry about letter they are sent to make people phone them 😂 anyway they taking off from her carer allowance now is it possible for us to apply for universal credit then??
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I know what poppy means but it's slightly ambiguously worded. For the avoidance of doubt - if your joint savings exceed £16,000 you cannot claim UC.

Yes, now you mention it i can see what you mean. Thanks calcotti, i appreciate it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Qasimo said:
    .. is it possible for us to apply for universal credit then??
    Not if you have joint savings that are over £16,000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Qasimo
    Options
    @calcotti yea we spent it gone below so we can apply innit
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends what you spent it on, might be viewed a depreciation of capital.

2024 Election won

• poppy123456
    Options
    Qasimo said:
    @calcotti yea we spent it gone below so we can apply innit
    Then yes you can reapply. They will likely ask for bank statements to confirm your savings are now below £16,000. There will be a deduction for savings of over £6,000 as I advised above. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.