Help With Knowing What We’re Entitled To — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help With Knowing What We’re Entitled To

Options
charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
Hello all, so I’ve recently starting claiming with my partner. Prior to this I was on Esa/Pip, and my partner was on Uc. We are now claiming Uc together as a couple. My partner also receives Lwrca and Pip. I was just wondering if there’s any help or are any of us entitled to SDP or anything like that. Thankyou all I just wanted to make sure we’re claiming everything that we are entitled to. Thankyou x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,880 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    SDP is not payable when claiming UC. It only applies to those claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA, JSA and Income Support.

You need to make sure that your UC includes 1 LCWRA element and 1 carers element. The person that doesn't receive the LCWRA element can receive carers element, if they caring duties are at least 35 hours per week.

The only other benefit that's possible to claim now is council tax reduction from your local Authority.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlotte84
    Options
    Hello @poppy123456 my partner receives the Lwrca element but I couldn’t claim the carers element could I as I’m on pip myself? Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    but I couldn’t claim the carers element could I as I’m on pip myself? Thanks 

That's not correct at all. Lots of people claim PIP and carers element/carers allowance. You don't need to physically care for a person to be entitled to any of those benefits. I claim PIP and also carers allowance for looking after my daughter. My caring duties do not contradict the reasons i'm claiming PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charlotte84
    Options
    @poppy123456 Ohh really I never knew that, also who would I be caring for myself or my partner I don’t really get it. The thing is with me I can hardly walk due to my back so I don’t think I’d be able to be anyone’s carer if anything I need help myself x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    A person can't claim carers element for caring for theirself. You would claim it for caring for your partner. Or you could receive the LCWRA element and your partner could claim the carers element for caring for you. This way you'll be claiming your maximum UC entitlement.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.