Carers Element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Element

Options
charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
edited January 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello all, I just wanted a bit of help off someone with knowledge regarding the carers element of UC. My partner used to be my carer up until last year and he’s been on UC quite a few years but he’d never heard of this element. We were just wondering can he get that element backdated from the time he used to care for me. Thankyou all 

Comments

• charlotte84
    Options
    @poppy123456 @calcotti would any of you be able to help with this question please as you both have been very helpful in the past. Thankyou x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,863 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As advised on your thread yesterday, one of you can claim carers element while the other claims LCWRA element.

As his UC included the LCWRA element for himself before you claimed together then the same person can't receive carers element at the same time. Therefore he won't be able to backdate that element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @poppy123456 @calcotti would any of you be able to help with this question please as you both have been very helpful in the past. Thankyou x
    Neither poppy or myself like to be tagged. Neither of us receive notifications, we will post when it's convenient for us to do so (if we have something to say). 

I can see that poppy has given the information you need. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charlotte84
    Options
    @calcotti sorry for tagging you I didn’t think it would be a problem. I feel like you have been really rude to me. Also if you’d both read my question properly you’d see I weren’t taking about my new claim I was referring to when we didn’t claim together and HE was my carer.I feel so upset as to the way you just spoke to me 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Also if you’d both read my question properly you’d see I weren’t taking about my new claim I was referring to when we didn’t claim together and HE was my carer
    I did also answer that question here.

As his UC included the LCWRA element for himself before you claimed together then the same person can't receive carers element at the same time. Therefore he won't be able to backdate that element.
    I did also mention on your other thread that if someone is claiming LCWRA element for theirself they can't claim the carers element as well.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charlotte84
    Options
    @poppy123456 He weren’t claiming LWRCA at the time when he was my carer. All he was claiming at the time was UC and Carers allowance 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would prefer it if you didn't tag me please. As calcotti correctly said earlier in the thread, my notifications are switched off and i have missed tags in the past because of this. I don't want people thinking i'm being rude by not replying. If i see a thread and i can help, i will.

All he was claiming at the time was UC and Carers allowance 
    Then his UC should have also included the carers element. There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance and UC because it's just deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

• charlotte84
    Options
    I’m sorry for tagging you, so say the extra Carer element of £168 per month is that not a gain I’m sorry I just don’t understand I’m not educated in all this. 
  • charlotte84
    Options
    They never included an element in his UC as we weren’t aware of it. So can this still be looked into so you think. Thankyou 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @calcotti sorry for tagging you I didn’t think it would be a problem. I feel like you have been really rude to me. 
    I was advising you of my preference. I can’t see how that is rude.
    I’m sorry for tagging you, so say the extra Carer element of £168 per month is that not a gain I’m sorry I just don’t understand I’m not educated in all this. 
    When claiming both UC as a carer the UC is increased by £168/month so being carer does increase the amount paid.

If both CA and UC are claimed the CA is deducted from the UC (which includes the carer element). The combine amount of CA and the UC will add up to the same amount as just claiming UC with the carer element.
    There's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance and UC because it's just deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.