Hi, my name is katieh! Higher holiday insurance fees for disabled people — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is katieh! Higher holiday insurance fees for disabled people

Options
katieh
katieh Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am concerned that because of a quirk in legislation, that people with a 'managed'disability are charged extortionate fees for holiday insurance, and worse still the TAX collectec for the government , on the policy, is therfore higher, thus increasing the cost further. 

In these days of hardship (especially after covid and the dreadful cold) going to a warmer climate for a rest, should be welcomed ....in Germany for instance anyone with a disabling condition is given a few weeks away. I am not asking the Governme t for that, but to make it illegal to charge more for a policy, when a disabled person is unlikely to need there actual disability covered.

Let's get things LEVELLED UP!

Katie

Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @katieh and welcome, thanks for sharing your thoughts with the community here. To help our members share their thoughts with you, I've moved your post over into our Disability Rights and Campaigning category :) 

Are you looking to head somewhere warm for a break? 

I do find that a lot of things in life are subject to a "disability premium" which raises the cost of things, to cover extra assistance/space etc., and it certainly feels unfair. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    And a warm welcome from me too @katieh. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • katieh
    Options
    I would like to be able to raise this issue further and hopefully get the anomaly in the law changed. It seems very odd to me that disabled people who probably are less likely to engage in dangerous pursuits while on holiday are paying higher premiums than perhaps people who take risks  by participating in certain sports on holiday which are known to be dangerous for anyone untrained in their usage.
    Katieh
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Making a comparison with people participating in dangerous sports isn’t apt - cover for dangerous sports usually requires payment of an extra premium.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Making a comparison with people participating in dangerous sports isn’t apt - cover for dangerous sports usually requires payment of an extra premium.
    It certainly does.  When I could scuba dive, my insurance was higher because it was deemed a potentially dangerous activity.

• Cartini
    Options
    katieh said:
    I am concerned that because of a quirk in legislation, that people with a 'managed'disability are charged extortionate fees for holiday insurance, and worse still the TAX collectec for the government , on the policy, is therfore higher, thus increasing the cost further. 

In these days of hardship (especially after covid and the dreadful cold) going to a warmer climate for a rest, should be welcomed ....in Germany for instance anyone with a disabling condition is given a few weeks away. I am not asking the Governme t for that, but to make it illegal to charge more for a policy, when a disabled person is unlikely to need there actual disability covered.

Let's get things LEVELLED UP!

Katie

I`m sorry, but I don`t agree with your sentiments.
    Those sensible people who choose to take out travel insurance have to declare any health conditions they have. 
    Putting aside the conditions that put me in the disabled bracket, I had to pay a higher price for travel insurance to cover asthma and high blood pressure.
    The insurance is there to cover anything that may potentially happen and not just because of their "ailments", whether classed as disabled or not.
    Travel insurance is another necessary evil in this world we live in.
  • katieh
    Options
    I understand that of course, and encourage anyone travelling to take up insurance cover,  but it's the additional taxation for the services that is an issue resulting in a double whammy   ......remember that an insurance provider cannot discriminate on age etc for car insurance, even though statistics demonstrate that younger drivers are higher risk of accidents and possibly death as a result. Yet there is currently no similar equality proofing  for tavel insurance ....that why it needs to be levelled up. Katieh
  • katieh
    Options
    Ahh yes and just as an additional footnote insurance companies also ask if a person has had a cold or a verruca .....maybe everyone will find that a non declaration of such things  will result in insurance claims being denied?! The industry needs a proper overhaul. I for one always have cover but I do get worried about colleagues who are finding it really costly.  And for the record, I did work in the insurance industry so my views are not without value. Katieh

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Young drivers aged up to 25 years old do indeed pay more for car insurance compared to drivers over 25 years old; this is not discrimination either.

• katieh
    Options
    Some insurance policies cover  winter sports  with no extra charge. They are on my cover, but I will never use them. The dangerous sports and activities  (for some )I was referring to was simple things like sedgeway, banana boat riding, jet ski  canoeing etc (often free at some resorts) . Yes the organisers have to offer insurance internally, but should an accident occur a persons own insurance may be at risk in such circumstances, because it is highly likely that the resort insurance will be the most basic available. Diving is of course an excellent sport requiring additional cover as accidents do happen, even by an experienced/certified PADI .  Katieh
  • Cartini
    Options
    This is incorrect:
    remember that an insurance provider cannot discriminate on age etc for car insurance

Taken from a number of sources:

Drivers under the age of 25 usually pay the most for car insurance.

Comprehensive car policies cost around £981 on average for young drivers.

Also.... I`ve never been asked if I have had a cold or a verruca when applying for travel insurance and I spent a run of 10 years going to Menorca, Gibraltar, Greece and Portugal.

There are a few threads on here where contributors are, quite rightly, advocating equality for disabled people; your desire / want / suggestion opposes that by creating a unique situation for those with disabilities.

I understand and feel your concerns over the insurance tax, but that is another side to rip off Britain that won`t be changed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.