If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Motzart! PIP and NI contributions

Options
Motzart
Motzart Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all, I am on PIP  and I have just found out that it did not pay my N I contributions which will reduce my state pension.  I was refused ESA . I cannot afford to make up the deficit of over £2,000. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Disability benefits such as PIP/DLA have never given NI credits. Have you checked entitled to Universal Credit? If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you have savings capital of more than £16,000 then you're excluded from claiming. You will receive class 3 credits from claiming UC. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=4fff9bdc-52fe-43fb-b5d4-b09f7b0b6862

When do you reach state pension age and how many more years NI contributions do you need?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Motzart
    Options
    Hi thanks so much for replying. I will be pension age in June. Im/we are not entitled to UC. Its the 4years since I left work 2017 to 2021. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you had a state pension forecast? You may not need those years. Check here. https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Motzart
    Options
    Hi Poppy I lose about £20 a week. I was a Civil Sevant and our pension is smaller as they paid less N I contributions for us. My COPE ESTMATE IS £54 a week if I had not been contracted out. Doubt theres not much I can do about it.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    Motzart said:
    Hi Poppy I lose about £20 a week. I was a Civil Sevant and our pension is smaller as they paid less N I contributions for us. My COPE ESTMATE IS £54 a week if I had not been contracted out. Doubt theres not much I can do about it.
    There is a very good forum about Pensions and Cope and NI on MoneySavingExpert.  There are some very knowledgeable people on there.  If you post the details of your State Pension Forecast and ask for help.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/pensions-annuities-retirement-planning
  • Motzart
    Options
    Thanks so much Shirley will do. You are a great bunch of helpful people.😊
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Motzart

I see you've had help already :) I just wanted you to know, I popped your post into our Benefits and Financial Support section. Incase there were any other queries you had. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Motzart
    Options
    Thanks sooo much Hannah, really kind and thoughtful of you.🤗
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Motzart said:
    The COPE is only relevant to the calculation of your ‘starting amount’ as at April 2016 when the new State Pension was introduced.
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated

Unfortunately you should probably have challenged the decision to refuse ESA (I assume that you claimed immediately after stopping work but you were found to be Fit for Work).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Motzart
    Options
    Hi thank for your reply. I left work in March 2016. I had jobseekers for 2 sessions after that and then tried to claim ESA. I mistakenly filled in the form for income based instead of contribution based (it might be the othervway round). So I got a letter to say I wasnt entitled. Then I learnt if you claim ESA within 2 years of leaving work you can get it. I was over 2 years then but rang up to say I had filled in the wrong details and could I claim it now. as I wasnt aware of this
    The assistant was so rude. He said I would have been told the right way to claim and laughed and said to forget about it. He was so rude I told him if I had spoken to people  that way when I was a C S my boss would have had a word with me. I just let it go and then ESA was done away with and replaced by Universal credit for new claiments.  I got very ill with rhuemstoid arthritis, and osteo  late 2017. Sorry this is a bit waffley. Hope it makes sense. Thanks.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds like an insightful rollercoaster for you @Motzart. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Motzart
    Options
    Hi thank you. Yes I do feel a tad annoyed that I didnt pursue the ESA but the guy was so rude it put me off so I will loose out on my state pension. I just wanted to see if I could do anything about it. It has annoyed me but I have dealt with a lot worse so I will settle to it after being annoyed for a while. Thank you so much for asking  me it is very kind of you.😊

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.