Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Severe Disability Premium

Options
loulass71
loulass71 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good Morning,
Im just wondering if anyone can help me?I've been my husband's full-time carer for over 8:years(claim carers allowance) however my own health has declined in the last couple of years,in September 2022 I was awarded PIP at standard rate for both (backdated from March 2022),my husband is also on PIP enhanced for both,claims income based ESA and has a private pension.December 2022 we got a telephone call from DWP stating we could be eligible for SDP and they sent a form out,I filled it in and they rang to check if anyone claimed carers for me (they don't).The lady informed us we were eligible for the SDP and we would receive a lump sum and paperwork explaining our award.Received award letter yesterday stating how much our weekly amount will be,the thing is there's no mention of a lump sum and the benefit amounts are from January 11th of this year!I was led to believe that I should have been entitled to SDP from the date I was awarded my PIP?I'm so confused 🥴 sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, the SDP for yourself should be from the start of your PIP award, if you qualified at that time. You will need to ring them on Monday morning when they open.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 8,021 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @loulass71
    Morning I hope you get it sorted out I’m sure you will.

• Lou67
    Options
    Hi I hope you don’t mind me jumping on your post to ask if anyone could help me.

Iv been receiving SDP for a cpl years, just had my award renewed this week. Do I need to phone ESA to apply again or will it carry on. Thanks 

• loulass71
    Options
    Thank you for your speedy replies,really appreciate it x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lou67 said:
    Hi I hope you don’t mind me jumping on your post to ask if anyone could help me.

Iv been receiving SDP for a cpl years, just had my award renewed this week. Do I need to phone ESA to apply again or will it carry on. Thanks 
    I shouldn't need to.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lou67
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Lou67 said:

As it's a new award then it may suspend your next ESA payment so if you don't receive it then please don't panic, you can just ring ESA and tell them you haven't received your payment and they will make a same day payment.

I just don't want you to worry because when my PIP review decision came last year my ESA was suspended. I'm not saying it will definitely happen but it may. Hopefully there will be no issues.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lou67
    Options
    @poppy123456

Hi thanks for your reply, I was actually paid my ESA yesterday and I did think it might be late, but instead off ESSA next to my payment in my banking app it sd JSA, is it obviously just a mix up.
     Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Lou67 said:
    @poppy123456

Hi thanks for your reply, I was actually paid my ESA yesterday and I did think it might be late, but instead off ESSA next to my payment in my banking app it sd JSA, is it obviously just a mix up.
     Thanks 

That just means it was manually paid, which does suggest it was suspended but thankfully, they did notice that.
  • Lou67
    Options
    @poppy123456

Thats great thanks again. ❤️
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As always, you're welcome! :)
  • loulass71
    Options
    I rang DWP as suggested and they confirmed they have backdated my SDP to when I was awarded my PIP,they owe me almost £3000 but I've been informed they have sent it to debt management to see if we have any overpayment owing,we have been paying £22 a fortnight for the last 7 years for an overpayment (DWP fault)tax credits are also saying I owe them £800 from 2015 we I don't think I do,so looks like I won't get the lump sum, absolutely gutted as would have finished off our wetroom (council did bare minimum,tiling only one wall and left over 3 walls and ceiling,old pipes etc)I wasn't aware they did this as they gave me my backdated PIP in a lump sum no bother!thanks for all your help and advice.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They can use any money they owe you to pay back any money you owe them. For tax credits debt then you should have received your tax credits award for that year with details of any money you owed on it.
  • loulass71
    Options
    They saying they overpaid my wtc but it's took them 7 years to realise?I can't remember 7 weeks ago nevermind 7 years ago,I've come to terms with them keeping the lump sum but I'm still pleased I have been awarded SDP 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I've known HMRC contact people for debt as long as 15 years later. Yes, going forward the extra money from the SDP and your PIP will hopefully help :)
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.