Hi, I'm ziggy1!Waiting for UC housing element to be added and struggling financially. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm ziggy1!Waiting for UC housing element to be added and struggling financially.

Options
ziggy1
ziggy1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Asking for some advice, I recieve PIP for other health issue, was diagnosed with stage 3 lung Cancer, started to claim UC on the 7th Dec , still waiting for housing element to be completed which is causing me extreme stress as im in arrears. I have tried to pay some of my rent but have now left myself very short for food ,bills ect, UC dont seem to be bothered as i have messaged my journal numerous times  ! i also completed form for LCWRA in January which was signed by my oncologist and signed off for a year due to treatment plan which is for a year. Do I still wait the full.3 months for LCWRA to be granted or is it  people with cancer undergoing treatment are classed as having LCWRA straight away, I appreciate any advice 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The waiting period will still apply, it's only those applying through end of life (special rules) that are entitled from the start of the claim.

With regards to your rent are you privately renting or social housing? If privately renting are you renting from a close family member?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ziggy1
    ziggy1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I'm a council tennant
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Then they should contact your landlord directly to confirm your eligibility to pay rent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ziggy1 and welcome to our online community. How are things going today?

I'm sorry first of all to hear about your health and diagnosis, how is your treatment going? I hope the care team are looking after you well.

In terms of waiting for the housing element to be added to your UC, will you be able to manage financially? You mention struggling with food, bills etc which sounds particularly hard. Scope have a wealth of information that might begin to help in this difficult situation, if you take a look at our 'Help with bills and food' advice pages

Plus, we have a free Disability Energy Support service who would be more than happy to speak to you about reducing the cost of your energy bill where possible. 

Please let us know how you get on and we are wishing you the very best health-wise. We're always here if you need a virtual natter, vent or moan, so do bear that in mind. Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.