How have you felt the impact of the NHS crisis? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How have you felt the impact of the NHS crisis?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

The crisis hitting the NHS is difficult to get away from. Dominating news outlets everyday, we hear how overworked staff are lacking the resources to deal with exceptional demand. But, how has it impacted your care?

Decorative
If you scroll through the NHS tagged articles on the BBC news website, it's hits home that the NHS is facing possibly it's greatest challenge yet. Growing backlogs, employee strikes and overcrowded A&E's are just a few of the issues we hear of, a far cry from the original vision of the NHS as set out by Aneurin Bevan. 

So today we're asking, how have you felt the NHS crisis personally? And looking to the future, what do you feel needs to, or can, be done? Be it in relation to your own care or the systems and structures just about holding our healthcare access together?

Personally, my hospital appointments have been delayed by months due to a shortage of consultants in my speciality. Whilst, I join many others in the clamber to get GP appointments when needed, having to speed dial at 8am on a morning and hope my need is triaged as important enough to be seen. I don't profess to know the solution other than investing more money where it is needed unfortunately but it certainly makes me appreciate (and romanticise!) the high quality, speedy care I received on diagnosis of my IBD back in 2000. 

We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have been really fortunate in the sense that it hasn't affected my care. Maybe this is because I needed to see a nurse though and not a GP or consultant etc! 

I think this is a really useful space for those of us who may want to share our experiences though, especially those of us who may not have been so fortunate. 

It is a really difficult time. Hope you are able to receive the care you need and deserve soon @Cher_Scope <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Margare93222061
    Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 426 Pioneering
    Options
    You really have to make your voice heard if you want any thing from the NHS 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They've removed online booking so I have no way to access a GP but that began during Covid, but they've not returned it because 'demand is too high' - whatever that means. 
    I don't have a clue what can be done to help the NHS as a whole at this point. I think it's obvious that certain groups are looking to destroy is to justify privatising more areas for financial gain. 
  • Margare93222061
    Options
    Hi hi I do not feel the government want. The NHS but there are some people that need help from the. NHS regularly  I always ask to speak to the surgery manager if I do not get any where with the receptionist.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When I had my seizure I had to wait 2 hours for paramedics and the paramedic said it took him an hour and 15 minutes to get there. 
  • Margare93222061
    Options
    That hat is not good service when you have had a  seizure, I am sorry to hear hat was your situation 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.