Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Benefits, disability, and moving in with a partner

mentalencyclopaedia Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello I was wondering if anyone would be able to help please. I am looking at potentially moving in with my partner and I want to know the financial feasibility of my situation. 

I currently receive PIP standard daily living and standard mobility. 

I also receive UC (£334.21) and LCWRA (£354.98) totalling £689.19 with a work allowance of £563. 

If I was to move in with my partner, I believe she would be entitled to the care element of £161.81 per month. Our base allowance would also increase to £525.72 (we are both over 25), plus my LCWRA of £354.98 bringing our monthly entitlement to £1,042.51. 

My questions are… do I still have a £563 work allowance? Is this applied to us as a couple or just me individually? My partner works full time so will our overall entitlement start reducing from the first £1 that she earns, or only after the £563 work allowance? If my partner is on a £34,000 salary will that wipe out our universal credit entirely? Many thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,928 Disability Gamechanger
    The work allowance applies to your claim, if you're claiming with a partner it will apply to them as well. If you don't claim for help with any rent the work allowance is £573/month. Any earnings recieved of up to this amount are ignored. After that then your UC will be reduced by 55%.

    UC is based on net earnings received each month so it will depend on their earnings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If there are no other deductions from your UC  then if their net earnings are £2,467/month or above  this would reduce your UC payable to nil (from the maximum amount of £1,042).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.