Hi, my name is ter! Should I be claiming ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ter! Should I be claiming ESA?

ter Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi all my first visit here i was wondering if someone could advise me as i left work a few years ago due to ill health and have been living on my private pension. my sister informed me that i should be claiming ESA and when i applied the said i had not paid any stamp for he last 2 years and was not entitled. how do i go about addressing this as i was unaware that i could claim it. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming New style ESA to receive the payments depends on your NI in tax years 2020/21 and 2021/22. As you haven't worked for the last couple of years you won't be entitled to the payments. There's nothing you can do about this unfortunately.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. It's a means tested benefit so whether you're entitled will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you will need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

    Your pension will be classed as income and reduce any possible entitlement £1 for £1. You can use a benefits calculator to check if there's any entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=4dcafb57-e0fd-4af0-8fec-dded4a04149e

    If there isn't and you need NI credits for your state pension then you can claim New style ESA and if found to have limited capability for work you will receive class 1 NI credits but those alone will not entitle you to receive payments.

    Have you looked to see if you're entitled to PIP? It's a disability benefit that isn't means tested. Whether you're entitled will totally depend on how your health conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. See links. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @ter. It is great to see you have joined us.

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.